Oxfordshire County Council logo

Charges for non-household waste (DIY)

Information about the charges for non-household waste (DIY) at our recycling centres.

What is chargeable waste?

It’s non-household or DIY waste items.  As a general rule, non-household or DIY waste items are materials created from the construction, demolition, alteration or repair of a home or garden. For example, sink, bath, kitchen unit, ceramic radiator, fence panel, a bag of soil or rubble etc. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of items but a guide to the types of materials considered DIY waste.

You will still be able to dispose of all household waste free of charge at any of the county’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).

Why am I being charged?

Soil, rubble, hardcore, plasterboard (gypsum) other DIY type items are classified as construction waste, not household waste, and are expensive for the council to dispose of. The council is not obliged to provide residents with a disposal site for non-household waste. However Oxfordshire County Council recognises that many householders carry out small DIY projects from time to time, and applying a small charge this allows HWRCs to continue accepting these discretionary types of non-household waste. 

If you feel you have been overcharged let us know.

How much it will cost

Item Price
Soil, rubble and ceramic tiles per bag*   £1.50
Bath £1.50
Toilet pan £1.50
Cistern £1.50
Washbasin or kitchen sink £1.50
Shower door or shower tray £1.50
Ceramic radiator £1.50
Kitchen worktop £1.50
Fitted furniture – including fitted wardrobes, bedroom and kitchen units/cupboards (free-standing wardrobes/cupboards, e.g. those that you may take with you when you move, are free of charge).” £1.50
Standard door £1.50
Window frame (no glass) £1.50
Sheet of glass (e.g. window pane, or glass used in construction/demolition)  £1.50
Water tank £1.50
Fence/shed panel £1.50
Wood from construction/demolition (including railway sleepers), floorboards/laminate flooring and offcuts of wood/other DIY wood waste – equivalent size to a door £1.50
Guttering or drain pipe up to 3m £1.50
Roof felt tiles or sections of roof felt – smaller than 1.5m x1.5m £1.50
Roll of roof felt up to 3mx5m £1.50
Loft insulation up to 3m  £1.50
Plaster/plasterboard per bag ** £2.50
Plasterboard sheet up to 2m x 1m ** £10
Car or motorcycle tyre £5

*A bag is approximately 20L in size or the equivalent volume of loose material. Part bags will be charged as per whole. Other DIY items may be liable to be charged at a similar rate as stated in the table.

**Plasterboard will only be accepted at Redbridge, Dix Pit and Ardley Fields Household Waste Recycling Centres.

There will be no charge for metal non-household items.

How can I pay?

All payments should be made by electronic means, all of our sites accept contactless payments and Apple/Samsung Pay etc.

How is the scheme different from the 1,2,3 for free scheme?

The DIY 1,2,3 for free scheme has been replaced by a small fixed fee per item, as shown in the table above. Our DIY 1,2,3 for free scheme had been in place for 15 years and allowed residents to deposit up to three items for free, before being charged £1 for each additional item.

Are DIY materials accepted at all HWRCs?

Plasterboard and asbestos will only be accepted at Redbridge, Dix Pit and Ardley Fields. Information about disposing of asbestos.

Are the charges the same at all HWRCs?

Yes. Standard charges are in place for the chargeable waste service at all seven HWRCs in Oxfordshire.

Will I be charged for other materials?

There are no changes or charges for normal household waste such as recycling, green garden waste, residual waste, or asbestos. Asbestos is only accepted at Redbridge, Dix Pit and Ardley HWRCs. Information about disposing of asbestos

What is non-household waste?

Non-household waste tends to be items or materials that make up the fabric of a building such as a wall or patio. DIY waste is usually created from the construction, alteration or repair of a home or garden.

Do local authorities have a legal obligation to accept non-household waste?

No, local authorities only have a legal obligation to accept household waste at the HWRCs. There is no obligation to accept non-household waste, which includes waste from construction or demolition activities. Some local authorities do not accept such waste.

Will the changes increase queues at sites?

We hope that the new system will be implemented without affecting queuing times on site, but we will be monitoring any impact.  

We recommend trying to plan your visit around quiet times at the recycling centres, if possible. Between 8am to 10am and 3pm to 5pm, weekdays are less busy than weekends and the middle of the day.  In the summer months (1 April to 30 September) the recycling centres are open until 8pm on Thursday evenings and are often very quiet.

I pay Council Tax, why should I have to pay extra?

Your Council Tax covers a wide range of council services provided by us, your local district/city council, and the parish or town council if there is one in your area. The county council is not obliged to accept non-household waste types such as soil, rubble, plasterboard and tyres at the HWRCs, and doing so results in high disposal costs. Applying a small charge for these discretionary wastes enables the disposal costs to be covered, and allows Council Tax to be focused on essential services.

Why does Oxfordshire County Council needs to make savings?

The amount of funding the county council receives from central government has more than halved in recent years. With public sector budgets expected to remain under severe pressure in the foreseeable future, it is no longer feasible to deliver services at the same level or in the same way. Therefore, the county council is faced with having to make some difficult decisions to deliver a balanced budget as required by law and provide vital public services to the people of Oxfordshire.

I run a small business producing DIY type waste. Can I bring this to site?

The household waste recycling centres are provided for Oxfordshire residents to bring their own household waste for recycling and disposal. Except Redbridge HWRC, where there is a trade area, it is illegal to deposit commercial waste at these sites at the moment.

Oxfordshire County Council is investigating the feasibility of providing services for small quantities of trade waste at these sites in the future. Meanwhile, please continue to use your authorised trade waste disposal routes.

Other options for disposing of materials

If you do not wish to take your waste to an HWRC you could hire a skip, or find a waste carrier to come and remove it for you. Local waste management and skip companies can be found via an internet search. Remember that you will need to comply with the householder’s duty of care, see below.

If you would like to dispose of waste and are considering using someone from a free newspaper, or any other classified publication - you will need to ensure that the person is a registered waste carrier, you are required to ensure that you know where the waste is being taken for disposal.

Access to the waste carriers' register set up by the Environment Agency.

The household duty of care

Under the Waste (Household Waste) Duty of Care (England and Wales) Regulations 2005, householders are required to take reasonable measures to ensure that household waste produced on their property is passed on to an authorised person. The move aims to crack down on fly tipping and make sure rubbish is dealt with properly and responsibly.

Penalties for non-compliance 

It will become an offence for householders to pass on waste to an unauthorised person. A maximum fine of £5,000 may be imposed on prosecuted offenders.

If fly-tipped waste is traced back to a particular household, the householders could be fined up to £5,000. How to report fly-tipping.