Transferring or moving school

How to apply for places at Oxfordshire schools during the academic year (in-year transfers)

School transfer - moving house

Delay in processing

There are delays in processing in-year transfer requests due to coronavirus.

You will need to provide further information with your application if you are ming to a new address.

Moving address

If you are moving address within Oxfordshire or into Oxfordshire from elsewhere in the UK, apply using the Apply for a school transfer form.

You need to provide proof of your new address with the application. See below about documents we accept as proof of address.

Service or Crown Servant personnel

If you are returning from overseas to live in this area, you can make your transfer application before you have a confirmation of your new address as long as you provide an official letter showing a relocation date.

If there is a space available at your chosen school, your child will be allocated before your move.

Moving to Oxfordshire from overseas

If you are moving to Oxfordshire from overseas we always request a copy of the child's passport and, if necessary, visa (if the child holds a non-EU passport). Please provide a copy of this with the application. It is not possible to offer a school place to a child arriving in Oxfordshire from overseas unless we have seen evidence that they are entitled to a UK state education.

You will also need to provide proof of your new address. See below about documents we accept as proof of address.

Proof of address

If you are moving to a new address in Oxfordshire, you should provide proof of that new address as soon as possible. It is likely that this will give your child a higher priority for a school place than if your application is processed on your current or previous address.

Documents we accept as proof of address:

  • Solicitor’s letter confirming contracts have been exchanged
  • Tenancy agreement (the page showing details of new address and last page signed by landlord and tenant)
  • New Council Tax demand
  • Letter from new employer (e.g. University college) where accommodation is being provided by them and is tied to the new post/job
  • New Quarter information if this is a military posting with provided accommodation
  • Assignment Order if this is a military posting but the new quarter has not yet been notified.
If your tenancy is for less than six months, this may not be considered as sufficient proof of address for school admission purposes.

Moving out of Oxfordshire

If you are moving out of Oxfordshire (and you want your child to transfer to a school in another county/area), you will need to apply directly via the new local authority for the area you are moving to, or (in some cases) via the school direct. You can find out your new local authority using the Government’s postcode finder.