Changing or moving school

Apply to change school during the academic year (in-year transfers).

School transfer - moving house

You will need to provide further information with your application if you are moving to a new address.

Moving address

If you are moving address within Oxfordshire or into Oxfordshire from elsewhere in the UK, apply using the Apply for a school transfer form.

You need to provide proof of your new address with the application. See below about documents we accept as proof of address.

Service or Crown Servant personnel

If you are returning from overseas to live in this area, you can make your transfer application before you have a confirmation of your new address as long as you provide an official letter showing a relocation date.

If there is a space available at your chosen school, your child will be allocated before your move.

Moving from overseas

If you are moving to Oxfordshire from overseas, we always request a copy of the child's passport (and visa if they hold a non-EU or British passport). You'll need to provide a copy of this with the application.

We cannot offer a school place to a child arriving in Oxfordshire from overseas unless we have seen evidence that they are entitled to a UK state education.

Proof of address

You should provide proof of address with your application. Or as soon as possible after you apply. Proof of your new Oxfordshire address will improve your chances of getting the school place you want. 

Documents we accept as proof of address:

  • Solicitor’s letter confirming contracts have been exchanged
  • Tenancy agreement (the page showing details of new address and last page signed by landlord and tenant)
  • New Council Tax demand
  • Letter from new employer (e.g. University college) where accommodation is being provided by them and is tied to the new post/job
  • New Quarter information if this is a military posting with provided accommodation
  • Assignment Order if this is a military posting but the new quarter has not yet been notified.
If your tenancy is for less than six months, this may not be considered as sufficient proof of address for school admission purposes.

Moving out of Oxfordshire

If you are moving out of Oxfordshire (and you want your child to transfer to a school in another county/area), you will need to apply directly via the new local authority for the area you are moving to, or (in some cases) via the school direct. You can find out your new local authority using the Government’s postcode finder.