Music Service - frequently asked questions

Common questions relating to the Music Service, including paying invoices.

How to cancel lessons

Read our page on how to cancel music lessons or ensembles.

Paying for music lessons

In receipt of certain benefits

If you are in receipt of some benefits, you may be eligible for free or reduced fees for music lessons. 

Go to our main registration page. Click on the Apply Online button and complete a Remission of Fees application. You will be asked for your National Insurance number and date of birth. The Music Service will email you within a few days to confirm whether your application for free lessons and instrument hire has been successful.

Serious temporary financial difficulties

If you do not qualify for free music lessons but are having serious temporary financial difficulties, contact the Business Manager at

Business Manager
The Centre for Music
Bayswater Road

How to pay an invoice

The easiest way is to pay online (at least 24 hours after you received the invoice). You will need to quote your invoice number and postcode as shown on the invoice. You cannot pay the music teacher.

Pay online

What if I disagree with the amount charged?

Please raise your query by completing the form below before submitting your payment. Please do not make deductions for missed lessons without contacting the Music Service.

Music Service invoice enquiry

What if my child’s group size changes?

Charges will increase/decrease termly where the number of children in the group decreases/increases. The Music Service will email those customers affected once changes are made in the Christmas break for the Spring Term and the Easter break for the Summer Term.

How to contact your child's teacher

Teachers can be contacted via their Oxfordshire email address usually set up as '' or call the office for more precise details.

Missed lessons

You will still need to pay for a missed lesson in the following circumstances.

  • School Inset
  • Exams
  • Trips
  • Controlled assessments
  • Other pupil absence

Where possible teachers will try to reschedule lessons if you contact the teacher in advance.

A reduction will be considered if long-term sickness means your child cannot attend lessons.

Teacher absence

Oxfordshire County Music Service will offer 35 lessons during the academic year. If a teacher misses a lesson, they will try to make it up before the end of the academic year. If this has not been possible, you will receive a refund after the end of the academic year (not at the end of each term), either as a cheque or a reduction on your next invoice. Cheque refunds of less than £10 cannot be issued.

How to return instruments

You will be contacted by our Resources Officer who will make arrangements with you for the instrument to be returned. They should not be left in school unless by arrangement.

Ensembles and Area Music Centres

There are a number of ensembles and Area Music Centres across the county for pupils of all standards.  Details can be found on our music groups pages. There is a charge for these activities. 

Transferring schools

For children transferring from primary to secondary school lessons will automatically continue, notice and re-enrolment is not required. Unless advised to the contrary, the Music Service will assume that lessons or group memberships will continue. When starting secondary school, students need to check the music department notice boards to find out when and where their lessons will be.

Other transfers

Notify us at the earliest opportunity, and preferably before the appropriate cancellation date. We may be able to make alternative arrangements so that tuition can continue.

Moving house

For moves within Oxfordshire, efforts will be made to transfer lessons, but this cannot be guaranteed.  Please let us know if you’re moving home as soon as you know and tell us your new address. Your child’s school will not pass on changes in personal details to us. If moving out of the area, normal notice to cancel lessons will apply (apart from Forces families).

Continuing lessons and ensemble memberships after year 13

Lessons and ensemble memberships will be cancelled at the end of year 13. If you wish tuition or group membership to continue, for example if the pupil is remaining in Oxfordshire for a gap year, please contact the Music Service office to arrange this.