Oxfordshire County Council logo

How to cancel music lessons or ensembles

How and when to give notice if you want to stop music lessons or ensemble membership.

Lessons can be cancelled at the end of term. We require half a term’s notice in order for the teacher to fill the space with a new student. 

You must also provide written notice if your child is:

  • transferring to a private school
  • leaving at the end of year 11.

How to cancel lessons

To cancel your child's lesson, log into the Speed Admin system and select De-Register under Student functions, then follow on-screen instructions.

When to give notice

To give notice at the end of term for lessons from the beginning of the following term, you must tell us by:

  • Autumn term - 31 October
  • Spring term - 28 February
  • Summer term - 31 May

Continuing lessons after year 13

Lessons and ensemble memberships will be cancelled at the end of year 13. If you wish tuition or group membership to continue, for example, if the pupil is remaining in Oxfordshire for a gap year, please contact the Music Service to arrange this.

Late cancellation fees

A late cancellation fee may be charged if notice is not provided by the given date.

Notice can only take effect at the end of a term. If you fail to cancel lessons/ensembles by the above dates, you are subject to a cancellation fee as follows:

£45 for cancellation after the published cancellation dates (above) but before the beginning of the following term
£55 for extra late cancellation where lessons/ensembles have already started in the new term, but the pupil has not attended

Membership of ensembles and music centres

Group membership may be cancelled without penalty up until the beginning (first day) of the school term after which a late cancellation charge will apply. When writing to cancel tuition or group membership, it is very important to say whether or not all activities are being cancelled. Cancellation should always be made in writing. Emails are acceptable and provide you with a record of receipt.

Returning your hired instrument

It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that the hired instrument is returned to the Service promptly after the last lesson to avoid additional hire charges. The Music Resources officer will contact you to make these arrangements. This officer can be contacted at musicresources@oxfordshire.gov.uk