Most tuition is offered by our visiting teachers in schools around the county during the school day. However, there are also out of school opportunities for all ages.
Not all instrument tuition is available in every school. You will be able to see which are offered in your child’s school during the online application process.
We offer tuition in:
- strings: violin, viola, cello, double bass
- woodwind: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone
- brass: trumpet, cornet, trombone, baritone, euphonium, horn (French and tenor), tuba
- percussion: drum kit, tuned percussion,
- guitar: classical, electric and bass
If your child doesn't have an instrument you can hire one in most cases.
34 lessons are offered in the academic year. Charges will be per lesson, charged termly in advance. The Music Service works on the three-term school year. Refunds will be made, if necessary, at the end of the academic year.
We provide every pupil with a record book and their teacher will use this to write in their targets for the next lesson. Your child should bring this book to every lesson. You will also be able to communicate with the teacher using the record book or via email.
Your child will receive an annual report in the summer term, written by their teacher which explains what they have achieved during the academic year.
About our teachers
All staff who work with your child or have access to their personal information have a current DBS certificate. All our teaching staff follow relevant schemes of work to deliver high quality lessons and we offer ongoing support and training to all staff during the year.
If only one pupil applies for a group lesson, they will stay on the waiting list until a group can be formed. Applicants can opt for an individual lesson which will be charged at the Band 4 rate.
All rates will be held with no increase until the end of the current academic year. If necessary following group size changes, rates will be changed from September of the next academic year.
Charges will only be increased to the next charge band except where parents/carers request a particular group size/lesson length.
A discount of 25 per cent on the above prices will be given across all group sizes for tuition: Viola, French Horn, Oboe, Trombone, Double bass, Tuba, Bassoon, Bass guitar.
Instrument hire (per term as above)
- Violin/Viola/Guitars - £25
- All others - £46
Charged termly i.e. Autumn, Spring and Summer
|Ensemble||Length of ensemble||Termly charge|
|Primary choirs (eg, OYS, SOYS)||1 hour||£42|
|Secondary Choirs||1.5 hours||£52|
|Single Ensembles||1.5 hours||£52|
|Music Centres||2.5 hours||£74|
For Senior Students at Centre for Music
|Saturday morning group only||3.5 hours||£102|
|Centre for Music pass - including Saturday morning and additional ensemble(s)||£154|
|County Ensemble - OYBB, OYFC (Flute choir), OYCC (Clarinet choir), OYBG (Brass Group), Oxybaroxy||2 hours||£84|
|County (Level) Ensemble - Bassoon Ensemble, Percussion Ensembles, JamPods Rock Schools||up to 1.5 hours||£57.50|
|County (Level) Ensemble - Oxonforde Yonge Musicians, Quartets||1 hour||£49.50|
Late cancellation fees
- £40 - For cancellation after the published cancellation dates but before the beginning of the following term
Families on benefits
Families who receive certain benefits may be eligible for free lessons, instrument hire and ensemble membership. Please contact us at to check eligibility before making an application for lessons.
- Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190