Most tuition is offered by our visiting teachers in schools around the county during the school day. However, there are also out of school opportunities for all ages.
Not all instrument tuition is available in every school. You will be able to see which are offered in your child’s school during the online application process.
We offer tuition in:
- strings: violin, viola, cello, double bass
- woodwind: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone
- brass: trumpet, cornet, trombone, baritone, euphonium, horn (French and tenor), tuba
- percussion: drum kit, tuned percussion,
- guitar: classical, electric and bass
If your child doesn't have an instrument you can hire one in most cases.
35 lessons are offered in the academic year. Charges will be per lesson, charged termly in advance. The Music Service works on the three-term school year with two invoices per term (six per academic year). Refunds will be made, if necessary, at the end of the academic year.
Your child will receive an annual report in the summer term, written by their teacher which explains what they have achieved during the academic year.
About our teachers
All staff who work with your child or have access to their personal information have a current DBS certificate. All our teaching staff follow relevant schemes of work to deliver high-quality lessons and we offer ongoing support and training to all staff during the year.
Lessons are charged in four bands depending on lesson length and the number of pupils in the group. All beginner groups of two pupils or more start on the Band 1 rate.
|Band||Price per lesson||Number in group/length of lesson|
If only one pupil applies for a group lesson, they will stay on the waiting list until a group can be formed. Applicants can opt for an individual lesson which will be charged at the Band 4 rate.
A discount of 25 per cent on the above prices will be given across all group sizes for tuition: Viola, French Horn, Oboe, Trombone, Double bass, Tuba, Bassoon, Bass guitar.
Instrument hire (per term as above)
- Violin/Viola/Guitars - £27
- All others - £48
Charged termly i.e. Autumn, Spring and Summer
|Ensemble||Length of ensemble||Termly charge|
|Primary choirs (eg, OYS, SOYS)||1 hour||£45|
|Secondary Choirs||1.5 hours||£55|
|Single Ensembles||1.5 hours||£55|
|Music Centres||2.5 hours||£76|
For senior students at Centre for Music
|Central Music School only||3.5 hours||£105|
|Centre for Music pass - including Saturday morning and additional ensemble(s)||£159|
|County Ensemble - OYBB, OYFC (Flute choir), OYCC (Clarinet choir), OYBG (Brass Group), Oxybaroxy||2 hours||£87|
|County (Level) Ensemble - Bassoon Ensemble, Percussion Ensembles, JamPods Rock Schools||up to 1.5 hours||£60|
|County (Level) Ensemble - Oxonforde Yonge Musicians, Quartets||1 hour||£50|
How to cancel music lessons or ensembles
How and when to give notice if you want to stop music lessons or ensemble membership.
Families on benefits
Families who receive certain benefits may be eligible for free lessons, instrument hire and ensemble membership. Please contact us to check eligibility before making an application for lessons.
- Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190