Companion bus pass | Oxfordshire County Council

Companion bus pass

How to apply for a bus pass for your companion if you are disabled and cannot travel alone.

Children between the age of 5 and 15 who qualify for a disabled pass will be issued with a companion pass automatically.

If you are entitled to a Disabled Bus Pass and cannot travel alone, then you can apply for a Companion bus pass at the same time. This will allow your companion to travel free - but only when they are with you.

Whilst you are entitled to free travel anywhere in England within permitted off-peak times, your companion will only be entitled to free travel on journeys that start in Oxfordshire. If you travel outside of the Oxfordshire county border your companion will have to pay for their own travel.

We will issue companion passes at our discretion. A holder of a companion pass may start a bus journey in the area of Oxfordshire independently, but if accompanied by a companion, both pass holder and companion must board and get off the vehicle at the same point.

How to apply

By phone

If you want to apply please contact the Customer Service Centre on 0345 310 1111.

In person

You can apply in person at any of our libraries or County Council building receptions. You will need to bring a suitable photo and copies of your proof of disability, need for a companion and residency documentation (see below).

If you are having trouble getting a passport style photo, staff have equipment to help take your picture for you.

Please be aware that passes cannot be issued on the day by library staff and they will be despatched separately. They should reach you within 10 working days.

Proof of residency

One of the following documents is acceptable as evidence of residency:

  • Pension letter*
  • Current driving licence
  • Recent* utility bill
  • Recent* bank or credit card statement
  • Recent* council tax bill

* no more than three months old

Companion pass criteria

If you live in Oxfordshire and meet the Disability criteria specified on the Disabled Bus Pass page, you must also provide evidence using one of the options below if you want to prove that you also qualify for a Companion Pass:

  • Evidence that you are a wheelchair user, sight impaired or unable to use public transport without the assistance of a companion
  • Proof that you qualify for Carer's Allowance
  • Proof that you receive Attendance Allowance/DLA (at the highest rate for a minimum of 12 months)
  • A letter from your GP, specialist, Social Services, School Head Teacher or relevant professional organisation. The letter must clearly confirm that your disability means you are unable to use public transport without the assistance of a companion.

Further information

See our frequently asked questions page for more advice about bus passes or for help with your application please contact the Customer Service Centre on 0345 310 1111.

Last reviewed
29 July 2015
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback