Carers' assessment

Carers can ask to be assessed to find out what is available for them and the people they care for.

Visit our website for carers - Carers Oxfordshire to:

What is a carer's assessment

If caring has a major impact on your life you can talk to Carers Oxfordshire about the help and support you may need. This is called a carer's assessment. This can happen even if the person you care for is unwilling to accept help.

To work out what support would be most helpful, we need to consider:

  • what help the person you care for needs
  • what help you are providing or you intend to provide (for example, when the person you care for is discharged from hospital)
  • what help you require to maintain your caring role
  • what help Oxfordshire County Council or other organisations may provide
  • your wish to work, undertake training/education or leisure activities.

Your assessment gives you the chance to discuss your needs.

You should also be able to contribute to the discussion of the needs of the person you care for so your needs are taken into account when planning services or options for them.

If the person you care for is not receiving any care services, they may benefit from having their own assessment. Please contact Carers Oxfordshire.

How to complete a carer's assessment

You can ask for an assessment at any time. If your situation changes and you need more help, you can ask for a reassessment.

You do not have to have a carer's assessment; it will not stop the person you care for from receiving services.

If you care for an adult, it is your choice to either have a separate assessment or a joint assessment with the person you care for. If you prefer, you can ask a friend or representative to be with you for your assessment. You are entitled to a written copy of your carer's assessment.

What happens next?

Once you have completed a carer's assessment form, the information will be reviewed by Carers Oxfordshire. They will consider the options you have chosen and will contact you accordingly.

Services and options that may be available

  • Information, advice and support from us or carers' organisations
  • Referral to other specialist groups which provide expert advice and support about health, housing, benefits, employment, education, training and leisure opportunities
  • Referral to carers’ support groups
  • Registration for Emergency Carers Support Service
  • In certain circumstances, counselling or practical assistance to support you in your caring role
  • Involvement as a carer in consultations and service development.

Joint assessment or an assessment for the person you care for

If the person you care for has not had an assessment of their need you can arrange this by contacting Carers Oxfordshire.

They have a right to an assessment no matter what their ability is to pay for the care they may need. They may have:

  • sight difficulties
  • hearing difficulties
  • mental health problems
  • frailty because of old age
  • learning disabilities
  • a short-term illness or injury
  • permanent, substantial physical disabilities
  • problems related to the misuse of drugs and alcohol.

If you care for an adult you can choose to have a joint assessment with them, you can do this by contacting the care manager of the person you care for.


  • There is no charge for any assessment
  • We do not charge for the services we provide to carers
  • A charge may be made for services we provide to the person you are caring for, depending on their financial circumstances. 
  • There are no charges for services for children under 18.

If you care for a child

If you care for a child with a disability, your own needs will be considered as part of the family assessment or you can have a separate assessment.

Contact Oxfordshire County Council and an adviser will give you information about a family assessment.

If you are under 18

If you are under 18 and you are taking on a lot of responsibility as a result of a condition that a grandparent, parent or sibling has, it is important that your needs are looked at too.

If you are under 18 and you and your family need support

  • If the person you are caring for has a social worker, care manager, nurse or support worker, you can ask them about having a family assessment which includes a young carer's assessment
  • Or you can contact Oxfordshire County Council and an adviser will give you information about a family assessment
  • If you are 16 or 17 you can also ask for an adult carer's assessment
  • An assessment may lead to support for you and your family from a young carers’ support worker or to regular breaks and activities for you and your brothers and sisters
  • You can also contact the Young Carers Team.