BSL video service for the Deaf community
You can now contact the Sensory Impairment Team via a video service with a BSL interpreter.
How it works
- Click on the 'Connect now' button below
- Connect to a SignVideo interpreter and tell them you are calling Oxfordshire County Council.
- The SignVideo Interpreter may ask you if you wish to prepare anything before starting the call. For example, is there any person or department you wish to contact?
- You will then be connected to an adviser in British Sign Language (BSL).
Check your operating system requirements
Before using SignVideo BSL Live, please ensure you meet these basic requirements as a minimum:
- PC/Mac with a webcam, iPhone 4s or above, iPad, most Android phone/tablets(4.4 or above)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, Chrome (PC only) or Safari.
- Bandwidth of at least 256 kbp/s upload and download (384kbp/s recommended).
- Note: If this is your first time, you will need to download a one-off Live plug-in. The Live plug-in enables good video quality and ensures that your calls are secure.
- Please follow the instructions once you are connected to the Web Access page. This service to Oxfordshire County Council is free from your own home, (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).
- For troubleshooting and technical guidance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02033 880771.
SignVideo is a specialist state-of the art video centre staffed by fully qualified and registered (NRCPD/SASLI) BSL/English Interpreters, who are available on demand.
For troubleshooting and technical guidance, please contact email@example.com or call 02033 880771
Hearing Impairment Team
We are a countywide team of specially trained staff. Our team includes specialist social workers, support workers, rehabilitation officer for the hearing impaired and an equipment support officer.
The team offer advice and support on any type of hearing impairment and the wider issues relating to this. Staff make appointments to see you either in the office or in your own home.
What we do
We can advise and support people of all ages with hearing problems, including:
- equipment assessment to improve access to TV/door bell/telephone etc
- advice on deaf issues, for example, equal access to services
- deaf children and their families, for example, support regarding available options and equipment
- deaf parents, for example, access to support services, equipment
- information on all aspects of hearing loss including Deaf/deafened/Hard of Hearing/Dual Sensory Loss/mental health needs relating to hearing loss.
We can also put you in touch with the Oxford Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre.
Visual Impairment Team
We are a countywide team of specially trained staff. Our team includes specialist rehabilitation workers and support workers .
The team offers support and advice on any type of visual loss and the wider issues relating to this. The team provide rehabilitation and habilitation support. Staff make appointments to see you in the office or in your own home.
We can be contacted:
- direct by you, friends or family
- through your GP, eye specialist
- by your care manager
- anyone who knows your circumstances.
You do not need to be registered blind or partially sighted to contact us.
What we do
We are trained to:
We can also put you in touch with the Oxfordshire Association for the Blind and with other associations who help in various ways.
Vision awareness training
You can view a
More information and advice
There are a range of resources available to help you take control of your own care. To find other local services near to you visit our Live Well Oxfordshire directory.