School admission rules
Admission policies and arrangements for admission to primary and secondary schools
If a school does not have enough places for everyone who applies, the admission rules for that school will be used to decide who will get a place.
When school places are allocated by us, only one school place will be offered, even if your child meets the admission rules for more than one school. This avoids some children receiving no offer of a school place while others receive several.
Every school has a set of rules, known as the 'admissions arrangements' or ' oversubscription' criteria. Schools that are oversubscribed will follow these rules when allocating places. Admissions criteria are set by the school's admission authority. Oxfordshire County Council set the rules for community and voluntary controlled schools while governing bodies or academy trusts determine rules for other types of school.
The School Admissions Code came into force in September 2021.
The School Admissions Appeals Code came into force on 1 February 2012.
School admission rules 2023-24
- Determined schedule of coordination 2023-24 (pdf format, 418Kb)
- Determined sdmission arrangements and oversubscription criteria 2023-24 (pdf format, 331Kb)
- Determined admission numbers 2023-24 (pdf format, 179Kb)
- Determined fair access protocol (pdf format, 178Kb)
- Determined extension to St Swithun's Primary School's designated area (pdf format, 1.7Mb)
School admission rules 2022-23
The admission arrangements, rules and admission numbers have been determined for community and voluntary controlled schools. Objections can be made to the Office of the Schools Adjudicator by 15 May 2021.
- Determined coordinated admissions scheme (.pdf format, 499Kb)
- Variation to determined admission arrangements and rules (pdf format, 322Kb)
- Determined admissions arrangements and rules (.pdf format, 401Kb)
- Determined admission numbers for community and voluntary controlled schools (.pdf format, 212Kb)
- Determined in-year admissions scheme (.pdf format 468Kb)
School admission rules 2021-22
- Determined coordinated admissions scheme (pdf format, 653Kb)
- Variation to Determined Admission Arrangements and Rules (pdf format, 338Kb)
- Determined admissions arrangements and rules (pdf format, 503Kb)
- Determined Fair Access Protocol 2020/21 (pdf format, KB)
- Determined admission numbers for community and voluntary controlled school (pdf format, 146Kb)
- Determined in-year admissions scheme (pdf format, 472Kb)