Make an application to infant and primary school
Parents of children born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017 (inclusive) need to apply for an infant or primary school place for September 2021.
From 3 November 2020, you can apply online for an infant or primary school place. The deadline for receipt of infant or primary school applications is 15 January 2021.
To apply online you will need:
- a laptop or desktop computer. The form is not compatible with tablets and/or mobile phones.
- an email address to register (if this is not your first child you can use your existing account to make the application)
- the names of the schools you are requesting for your child (in preference order) – we strongly recommend that you use all four preferences.
If you are unable to apply online
You can request a paper application form from a school or the School Admissions Team.
How to defer your application
Parents of children born between 1 April 2017 and 31 August 2017 can request a deferral to September 2022. A deferral means that your child can start Reception in September 2022 instead of September 2021.
Who makes the decision?
School governors or the board of directors make decisions on deferral requests for academies, free schools and church aided schools. The admissions and transport services manager, in liaison with headteachers, make decisions for community schools.
What happens if your request is accepted?
The decison does not guarantee a place for your child at your preferred school. The decision adds no weight to your application. The school's published admissions rules will determine how we allocate places.
What happens if the request is refused?
There is no right of appeal against the decision. You should apply for infant or primary school by 15 January 2021 to start Reception during the 2021/22 academic year.
How to request a deferral
Complete a deferral request form before 15 January 2021.
Read the 'Starting School', available from 12 September, for full details about deferrals.
National offer day
After the application deadline, all submitted applications will be processed.
If you make your application between 3 November 2020 and 15 January 2021, we'll notify you of the outcome on national offer day (16 April 2021).
If you apply online, you'll receive an email on national offer day. You'll be able to log in and see the school that has been offered for your child. You can accept or reject your place online.
If you apply by paper, we'll send you a letter by second class post on national offer day.
Important things to remember when applying
- It is the responsibility of parents/carers to apply for a school place.
- Apply on time. The deadline is 15 January 2021.
- You can list four different schools in order of preference. We strongly advise you to use all four preferences.
- We advise you to enter your catchment (or designated area) school as one of your preferences.
- If your application is late, it will be processed later in the year, and you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- Consider how your child will travel to school.