Apply for a new resident's parking permit

How to apply for a new parking permit to park in the controlled parking zone near your home.

Check your zone

You need to know which parking zone you are making an application for. The zone is displayed on the on-street parking signs and is made up of two letters, for example, 'EO' for east Oxford. You can also check on our Controlled Parking Zones.

Oxford City Council operates a completely separate residents' parking scheme on city-owned land.

Warning Not all properties are eligible for permits, and other restrictions may apply.

Before you apply for a permit

Your property may show on the map within a controlled parking zone (CPZ). However, there may be restrictions that mean your property is not eligible for visitor and/or residential parking permits. Do not make any decisions based on the mapping system.

Before you apply for a permit, contact us, and we'll confirm if your property is eligible for a parking permit. You may need to check before signing a rental agreement.

The number of permits per property

Each eligible applicant is entitled to one residential parking permit. You cannot have more than one permit in your name.

There is a maximum of two resident permits per property in the following zones. In some cases, other restrictions may apply. Contact us for further information.

Zones with a maximum of two resident permits per property

  • CM (Cowley Marsh)
  • CT (Cowley Central East)
  • CS (Cowley Central West)
  • DV (Divinity Road)
  • EO (East Oxford)
  • ER (Elms Road)
  • FS (Iffley Fields)
  • HT (Holloway)
  • JE (Jericho)
  • MA (Marston North)
  • MN (Magdalen North)
  • QV (Headington Quarry)
  • RH (Magdalen Road and Howard Street)
  • SO (South Oxford)
  • SM (Summertown)
  • WM (Walton Manor)
  • WO (West Oxford)  
  • WW (Waterways)

For more information, refer to the explanatory notes (pdf format, 285Kb) or contact us.

Visitor permits

You'll get a free allocation of visitors’ parking permits with your resident’s parking permit unless you already got a set in the current permit year.

Blue Badge holders displaying a valid badge do not need a residents parking permit.

Information for students moving to a controlled parking zone

To apply for a parking permit, your vehicle must be registered in your name at the Oxford address. You'll need:

  • proof of address
  • the vehicle registration certificate (V5C).

Being the named driver on an insurance policy will not qualify you for a parking permit.

Proof of address for students

You can use one of the following documents.

  • Your fully signed termed tenancy agreement (should be signed by yourself, the letting agency and witnessed)
  • Your Council Tax student exemption certificate
  • A recently dated utility bill or financial statement.

Live webchat

We are trialling a live webchat function on this page as a new way to contact us. Let us know if you have any feedback or issues using the webchat. There are some issues we are aware of and are trying to resolve.