Pay a parking or bus gate fine

How to pay your parking ticket (PCN) or (ECN).

If you pay your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or Excess Charge Notice (ECN) within the shorter time specified on the notice, you will only have to pay half of the charge. After this time the full amount is due.

What do I need to pay my fine?

  • The Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or Excess Charge Notice (ECN) number from your parking ticket
  • Your car registration number
  • A valid credit or debit card

If you choose to pay online, please note that due to increased security measures, our online payment system will ask you for further verification before payment can be completed.

Tickets issued in Oxford

This includes PCNs issued through bus lane enforcement in Oxford.

Pay by telephone

If you don't wish to pay online, you can pay your parking penalty over the phone with a debit or credit card by calling 0345 337 1138 (Option 1).

Pay by post

Please do not send cash.

Make your cheque or postal order payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council', and write the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) number on the back of the cheque.

Complete the slip on the PCN, attach it to the cheque, and send it to the address given on the notice.

Tickets issued in Abingdon or Henley

Pay by telephone

For tickets issued in Abingdon telephone 01604 625614

For tickets issued in Henley telephone 01604 625615

Pay by post

Please do not send cash.

Make your cheque or postal order payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council', and write the Excess Charge Notice (ECN) number on the back of the cheque.

Complete the slip on the ECN, attach it to the cheque, and send it to:

Vinci Park Services Ltd
PO Box 597

Tickets issued in West Oxfordshire

Tickets issued elsewhere in the county

If your ticket was issued elsewhere in the county, please follow the instructions on the back of the notice.

What happens if I don't pay a fine?

Bus gate fine

If, after 28 days, we have not received payment or representation has not been made, a statutory document called the charge certificate will be served and the fine will increase by 50 per cent, meaning that the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle will now be legally responsible to pay £90.

If a penalty charge notice (PCN) remains unpaid 14 days after a charge certificate has been served, we can register the debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) (Oxfordshire County Council’s TEC is Northampton County Court).

Oxfordshire County Council has to pay a fee of £8 to register each PCN. Once a PCN has been registered with the TEC they send out authority to issue an ‘order for recovery of unpaid penalty charge’ (PE2). This would list the amount outstanding against the penalty charge notice.

The amount outstanding comprises of the unpaid PCN, plus the £8 registration fee. Once in receipt of the PE2 (which would also include a statutory declaration form, or PE3) the motorist has a further 21 days from receipt of the order to either pay the amount outstanding or send to the TEC a completed statutory declaration form (PE3) requesting that registration of the unpaid penalty charge notice be revoked.

However, there are only three grounds on which a statutory declaration can be made, these are:

  • The motorist did not receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
  • The motorist made representation to the council about the penalty charge and did not receive a rejection notice.
  • The motorist appealed to a parking adjudicator against the council’s decision to reject his or her representations, but received no response to the appeal.

A statutory declaration must be signed by the motorist in the presence of a Commissioner for Oaths, an officer of a county court appointed by a judge to take affidavits, or a justice of the peace. Filing a false declaration knowingly and wilfully is a criminal offence under Section 5 of the Perjury Act 1911 and you may be imprisoned for up to two years or fined (or both).

Where the motorist has been served with an order for recovery of unpaid penalty charge (PE2) and fails to pay or to complete a statutory declaration, the council can ask the TEC for authority to prepare a warrant of execution. This authorises a certificated bailiff after gaining entrance to the property to levy distress which entitles them to seize and sell goods belonging to the motorist to the value of the outstanding amount plus the cost of executing the warrant.