Oxfordshire County Council logo

How to register and vote in elections

Register to vote and ways you can cast your vote, including in person, by proxy and post.

Registering to vote

To vote in elections, you must be registered on the register of electors for where you live - also known as the electoral roll. The register of electors is a list of those registered to vote and is produced and updated by the district councils. Register to vote at gov.uk or contact your district council (details below). You can also use this link to

  • amend your registration or
  • change your address if you have moved house

There is no individual online access to the register.  If you are not registered, you will not be able to vote.

There are two versions of the electoral register; the 'open' register which is available to those who wish to buy a copy, and the 'full' register, which is used by electoral registration officers.  It is possible to opt-out of the open register.  This will not affect your right to vote.  Further information can be found at gov.uk.

Voting in person at a polling station

If you are registered to vote, when an election is called, a poll card will be sent to you stating where you should vote, and when the polling station will be open.

If don't receive a polling card you can still vote. Contact your district council’s elections office to ensure that you are correctly registered to vote and find out which polling station you need to go to (contact details further down this page). More about voting in person from yourvotematters.co.uk

Postal voting

Any voter can apply to their district council’s election office to vote by post instead of voting at the polling station. You can apply to vote by post at a particular election or referendum, for a set period of time or for all future polls. Postal votes can be sent to your address in the UK or an address overseas. More about postal voting from yourvotematters.co.uk.

Proxy voting

Under certain circumstances you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf.

You can apply for a proxy vote if, for example:

  • You are unable to get to the polling station as you are on holiday
  • You have a physical condition which prevents you visiting your polling station
  • You are a British citizen living overseas
  • You are a member of HM’s Armed Forces
  • You are taking part in an educational course which means you cannot get to your polling station
  • Your employment  means you cannot get to your polling station

You will normally need to provide evidence of your entitlement for a proxy vote. More about proxy voting at gov.uk

Further information can be obtained by contacting your district council on the contact details given below.

District council election office contact details

You need to contact your district council about registering to vote, postal and proxy voting. If you are not sure which district council area you live in contact us or check online.

Cherwell District Council
Bodicote House
White Post Road
OX15 4AA

Cherwell - Elections - Registering to vote

Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Oxford - Elections - Registering to vote

South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE

South Oxfordshire - Elections - Registering to vote
Vale of White Horse - Elections - Registering to vote

West Oxfordshire District Council
Council Offices
OX28 1NB

West Oxon - Elections - Registering to vote