Oxfordshire County Council logo

Complaints about councillors

How to make a complaint about the conduct of a member.

What you need to do

If you want to complain about the conduct of a member (councillor) you must submit your complaint in writing to:

The Monitoring Officer
Oxfordshire County Council
County Hall
New Road

Or email: standards.monitoringofficer@oxfordshire.gov.uk

Guidance for making a complaint

If you make a complaint relating to the code of conduct, the complaint must state why you think a member has not followed the code of conduct. 

To assist you in making your complaint about a member, the council has produced a guidance note and a complaints form which can be downloaded below:

What happens when you make a complaint?

Independent Person

The Monitoring Officer will review every complaint received and, after consultation with the Independent Person, take a decision as to whether it merits a formal investigation. This decision will normally be taken within 14 days of receipt of your complaint.

Where the Monitoring Officer has taken a decision, he or she will inform you of his or her decision and the reasons for that decision.

Complaining about a town or parish councillor

Complaints about town and parish councillors should be made to the monitoring officer at your district council.