Temporary storage on the highway

How to apply for a licence for a temporary storage area on the highway.

You need to apply to us for permission when you are planning to create a temporary storage area on the highway in connection with building works. Application is made under Highways Act 1980, Section 171.

The licence includes:

  • storage containers
  • building materials
  • portable cabins or huts.

Skip permits are issued separately.

How to apply

Your application must include a sketch plan of the layout and position of the storage area.

You cannot apply for this licence online

Apply by post or email

Email a completed application form (see below) to our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

If permission has been granted, the conditions attached to the licence must be carefully read and kept to.


The fee is £80 for each calendar month. This covers the cost of administration and site visits.

There is a £150 fine plus £50 per hour enforcement rate for non-compliance of the terms and conditions of the licence.

Cheques should be made payable to Oxfordshire County Council. Alternatively a bank transfer can be made to our team account, use the first line of application address as the reference.

A/C Name - OCC - Licensing & Streetworks DCI
Sortcode - 308012
A/C Number - 15190568


We aim to process your application within five working days and will then inform you of our decision.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


  • You must hold public liability insurance for the value of £10,000,000
  • Site inspection may occur prior to a decision being made. If you have additional information that may be useful, please include it with your application.
  • Whether on site or visiting, all personnel must wear a high visibility jacket or waistcoat, as appropriate to the speed limit of the carriageway. You may also need other protective clothing or equipment for your personal safety

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions regarding procedures or licences should be directed to them:

For operational advice (such as siting or feasibility), please contact the Highway Enquiries Team and ask to speak to the Local Officer responsible for your area.

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting /delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.