Skip permit

How to apply for a permit to put a skip on the highway.

Before placing skips on the highway, the owner or supplier must first be granted a skip operator's licence under the Highways Act (it is not the responsibility of the builder or householder to obtain this licence). See regulations relating to skip licences for more information.

Please contact the Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, to enable them to register your skip company. You will then be given details on how to access the online skip application portal.

How to apply

You must apply at least five working days before your start date.

Once we have confirmed that your company has been set up to use our online application portal, you can register via the links below.

If permission has been granted, the conditions attached to the licence must be carefully read and kept to. It is the owner or supplier's responsibility to ensure that the skip does not cause obstruction to other road users, and that it complies with government regulations.


There is a £300 fine plus £51 per hour enforcement rate for a retrospective licence if your skip is found on the public highway without the licence having been applied for.

  • £170 for a new skip permit – valid for one calendar month
  • £170 to extend a skip permit - valid for one calendar month
  • £135 for a late renewal (five working days’ notice not given) - in addition to the application fee.

Payment can be made electronically by any debit or credit card.



You can expect your licence to be processed within five working days.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions regarding procedures or licences should be directed to them. Along with operational advice (such as siting or feasibility).

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the first instance contact our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team and then contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.