Skip operator's licence

How a skip owner or supplier can apply for a skip operator's licence.

Before being given a permit for placing skips on the highway, you - as the skip owner or supplier - must first be granted a licence under the Highways Act (it is not the responsibility of the builder or householder to obtain this licence). You will need to carry adequate public liability insurance and be a registered waste carrier. Terms and conditions will apply.

Regulations relating to skip licences.

No fee is required when applying for this licence.

How to apply

Apply online

Apply by post or email

Please email or post a completed Company registration form (xls format, 33 KB) together with a signed copy of the Conditions for placing skips on a public highway (pdf format, 27Kb) and a copy of your ten million pounds sterling Public Liability Insurance to our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.


You can expect your licence to be processed within five working days.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Please contact our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team if you have any problems prior to your application, after you have applied or if your application failed or wish to appeal the decision.

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.