The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) has been set up to enable the sharing of information between services so risks to children can be identified at an early stage.
It is a link between schools, GPs, the police, ambulance service and social care.
Before making a children's social care referral
Before you complete a MASH referral form you must have read the Threshold of need matrix (pdf format) in reference to the case.
You will need to have:
- decided the level of risk related to the case
- determined it to be level 3 or 4
- inform the parents or carers using the MASH leaflet (pdf format, 154Kb) (unless informing parents/carers may increase the risk).
- consider if the child or young person’s needs can be met by services from within your own agency, or by other professionals involved with the family already
How to make a referral
Use the online form to make a referral to the team. If your concerns are urgent and are a level 4 please call 0345 050 7666 after you've complete the form. This call will be taken in our Customer Service Centre who will direct your call.
You will be able to download a PDF copy of the form once you've submitted it. But if you close your browser window that option will disappear.
This is a long form which will take around 20 minutes to complete.
Also known as the MASH form.
Problems with the formIf you have problems completing the form call 0345 050 7666.
New safeguarding calls are directed to our Customer Service Centre, who signpost the correct calls to the MASH. Any calls deemed inappropriate to transfer to the MASH will be directed to the relevant service.
Your referral will be assessed using the threshold matrix and any information held about the child and family. We will do one of the following:
- accept the referral and make contact with the family/child to ensure a safe outcome
- pass the referral on to the Locality and Community Support Service (LCSS) as a less urgent case to be dealt with by local teams.
In either case we will get back to you about outcome.
We aim to make an immediate response for the most urgent cases. For cases assessed as having lower level concerns, it may take up to three working days, to make an informed decision as to the most appropriate service required. We aim to review all enquires immediately upon receipt, this is not always possible. Online referrals will not be seen until the next working day.
The MASH opening hours are:
- Monday to Thursday: 8.30am – 5pm
- Friday: 8.30am – 4pm.
The out of hours Emergency Duty Team EDT (for emergencies only) can be contacted on 0800 833408.
In the first instance, professionals should call the Locality and Community Support Service to complete a consultation. Contact your nearest geographical team.