The Free NHS Health Check is with a healthcare assistant at your GP practice. You don’t have to wait to be invited but you do have to be eligible. If you are between 40 and 74 contact your GP practice to find out.
A NHS Health Check aims to help you lower your risk of developing these common but often preventable diseases such as heart attack, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease and some forms of dementia.
Tell us why you haven’t had yours here.
What is involved
The check will take around 20 to 30 minutes:
- your height, weight, sex, ethnicity and age will be recorded
- your blood pressure will be taken
- a simple blood test will check your cholesterol level
- your body mass index (BMI) will be calculated. BMI is a measure of whether you're a healthy weight for your height.
- you will be asked some simple questions about your family history, whether or not you smoke and how much alcohol you drink.
Following the check, you will receive free personalised advice about what you can do to stay healthy.
If the NHS Health Check does highlight any potential problems you will be offered plenty of advice and support to help you address them.