Independent financial advice

Finding information and advice on the best way of funding care.

Finding an adviser

Oxfordshire County Council is not licensed to offer independent financial advice.

The Financial Conduct Authority's website has a range of advice and information on finding financial advice, including how to find and choose a suitable adviser, what to expect from them, the difference between independent and restricted advisers  and charging options. All advisers should be accredited by the FCA. 

My Care My Home

My Care My Home is Oxfordshire County Council's preferred provider.

As well as offering a professional assessment of needs to people who fund their own care, and helping them to source suitable providers, My Care My Home will provide advice on the best way to finance your care, and can refer you on to an independent SOLLA (The Society of Later Life Advisers) registered independent financial adviser.

If you wish to arrange your own financial adviser, My Care My Home can give you the necessary details to enable you to do this.

The Society of Later Life Advisers

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) aims to help people to find trusted accredited financial advisers who have a particular understanding of financial needs in later life.

The Later Life Adviser Accreditation Scheme is audited and endorsed by the standard-setting body the Financial Skills Partnership (FSP) .  The website offers an online search of SOLLA accredited advisers.


The Saga Care Funding Advice Service, provided by Just Retirement Solutions Limited, specialises in providing care funding advice for people who need to pay for their own care needs.   There is a useful free guide to paying for care on their website that can be downloaded or requested by post.

Paying for Care

Paying for Care is a not-for-profit organisation which includes advice on its website on paying for care, as well as an online care fees calculator and a care cap calculator.   The website offers a search facility for local advisers.  For SOLLA-accredited advisers, Look for the red and purple flower logo by their name.

Money Advice Service

This is a range of free and impartial money advice, set up by the Government.  The website includes a section on paying for care, a telephone number and web chat option for further free advice, and a link to the SOLLA website for those needing specialist independent advice.


The Carehome website offers a care home search facility and has some basic advice on funding.