Finding a care home

Residential and nursing care information.

A registered care home provides accommodation, meals and help with personal care tasks such as washing, dressing, bathing, getting in and out of bed, getting around and eating.

Unless the care home is registered to provide services 'with nursing' then nursing support is not provided. Care homes 'with nursing' provide care from a qualified nurse employed by the home.

If a care home providing nursing is the best solution, a specially trained nurse will assess the nursing needs, to determine the level of nursing care the NHS will fund. It is important to get this done before the cared-for person goes into a care home.


If you are referred for residential or nursing care, a social worker or care manager will assess your needs, provide you with information about homes and help you to visit homes.


If you wish to refer yourself or someone else for an assessment then you can request an assessment online or you can contact Social and Health Care.

If you are a health professional who would like to make a referral, use our assessment forms for professionals.

Finding a care home in Oxfordshire

Search for a residential home near you

Search for a residential home with nursing near you

Respite breaks

We may be able to arrange short respite breaks for the person you care for in a residential or nursing home, perhaps for a weekend or a few weeks.

Care charges

Depending on your financial circumstances, you may be expected to pay for or contribute towards the cost of your care. We will give you a clear idea of what you can expect to pay and how the charges are calculated.

If you have over £23,250 in savings please contact the care homes directly. You may still be asked by the care homes to provide an assessment which we can provide for you. For more in depth financial information you can contact the Financial Assessment Team at 01865 797530.

Regardless of your financial situation, we can still provide advice and support.

My Care My Home

If you choose to fund your own care - or your capital and other assets exceed the council's funding threshold -  we will refer you to our preferred provider for independent financial advice and support, My Care My Home, part of the Shaw Healthcare group. Find out more.

Living well through activity in care homes

Free online resource of practical ideas on how to support care home residents to live their lives doing day-to-day activities that are important to them. The toolkit promotes dignity and respect, mental and physical wellbeing and integration into the community. Read more at:

Checking standards in residential care

Get free independent reports on the quality of your local homes and care services to help you make an informed choice. All residential homes, whether council-run or private, are inspected by the Care Quality Commission.

The commission's report provides details of many aspects of care including:

  • a description of the building
  • staffing arrangements
  • social care and activities
  • health care
  • complaints
  • contracts of residence
  • reports of discussions with staff and residents.

More information and advice

There are a range of resources available to help you take control of your own care. To find other local services near to you visit our Live Well Oxfordshire directory.