Oxfordshire County Council logo

Independent financial advice

Finding information and advice on the best way of funding care.

My Care My Home

My Care My Home is Oxfordshire County Council's preferred expert, impartial advice provider.

My Care My Home can advise you about:

  • the type of care service available
  • finding the right care provider
  • the cost of care and funding options.

They offer care needs and capacity assessments to people who fund their own care.

Finding an adviser

Oxfordshire County Council is not licensed to offer independent financial advice.

The Financial Conduct Authority's website has a range of advice and information on finding financial advice, including:

  • how to find and choose a suitable FCA-accredited adviser
  • what to expect from a financial adviser
  • the difference between independent and restricted advisers
  • charging options. 

Other sources of advice

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

SOLLA helps people to find trusted accredited financial advisers who have a particular understanding of financial needs in later life.

The Financial Skills Partnership (FSP) standard-setting body audited and endorsed the Later Life Adviser Accreditation Scheme.


The Saga Care Funding Advice Service, provided by Just Retirement Solutions Limited, specialises in providing care funding advice for people who need to pay for their own care needs. The free guide to paying for care is available on their website, or you can request it by post.

Paying for Care

Paying for Care is a not-for-profit organisation that advises on paying for care. Their website features:

  • a care fees calculator
  • a care cap calculator
  • a search facility for local advisers. 

For SOLLA-accredited advisers, look for the red and purple flower logo by their name.

Money Advice Service

The government set up the Money Advice Service to offer a range of free and impartial money advice. The website includes information about paying for care and provides a telephone number and web chat option for further free advice.


The Carehome website offers a care home search facility and provides some basic funding advice.