Oxfordshire County Council logo

Managed move to a different school

A strategy that is sometimes used when a child is almost at the point of permanent exclusion.

A managed move is where a school arranges for a pupil to join a different school in discussion with that school in a planned way.

Managed moves can only occur if parents are in agreement and where another school is willing to offer a school place in this way. It is a strategy which is sometimes used when there have been significant difficulties with a pupil's behaviour over a period of time and it is thought a fresh start in a new setting could benefit the pupil.

In Oxfordshire a managed move is usually offered when a pupil is at risk of suspension or permanent exclusion due to their behaviours.

Why is my child being offered a managed move?

Sometimes, if your child is at risk of permanent exclusion, the headteacher may consider a managed move to another school in order to give your child an opportunity for a fresh start.

How is a managed move different to a parent applying for a change of school?

At any time parents may apply to County Admissions for a change of school place for their child(ren) by completing an In Year Transfer Form. Parents can name up to three schools in order of preference. Under the Admissions Code, if there is a space in the school of choice, a place should be offered. A managed move does not take place through County Admissions under the Admissions Code. It is an arrangement agreed between parents and two schools to move a pupil from one school to another. Although this could only take place with your full consent, you would not have a choice of school, it would be a matter for negotiation between the schools.

Should I agree to a managed move instead of a permanent exclusion?

A managed move can be a supportive measure for children who may benefit from a fresh start at a new school. It is up to you to decide if you would like your child to have the opportunity of a managed move. The threat of exclusion must never be used to influence you to remove your child from a school.

Are there other differences?

Several. If you agree to a managed move, you are agreeing to your child leaving the school and have no formal opportunity to argue your case. The governors do not have a meeting to decide if your pupil should leave the school and you have no chance to discuss the case with them. This may be important if you feel that your child has not been supported adequately or fairly treated. If your child is excluded, the governors must meet to consider the head teacher’s decision. If they uphold the decision, you have the opportunity to take the case to an Independent Review. There is no process for review with a managed move.

If I agree, what happens to my child's education before he/she starts at the new school?

If you agree to a managed move intervention will be part of meetings with both schools where a plan is drawn up to support your child. You and your child will be able to ask any questions about the arrangements in these meetings.

Even after I had agreed to a managed move, the head has suspended my child. Why has this been done?

Even though a managed move has been agreed the school may decide to issue a suspension if a pupil has breached the behaviour policy. If the suspension is for longer than five days the school must make full-time provision for your child.

The headteacher has not suspended my child but has put him/her on a reintegration timetable. Is this allowed?

No, it is not allowed; your child is entitled to full-time education, although this may not always be on the school site. Reintegration time timetables are unlawful unless they are part of an integration programme that has been agreed with you. If your child is not receiving full-time provision you should contact the Exclusion & Reintegration Officer or Special Educational Needs Officer for the school. All schools must alert the local authority Learner Engagement service if a pupil is on a reintegration timetable.  

If the new school is a considerable way from where I live - what happens?

If the school is more than two miles (primary) or three miles (secondary) from your home and the school has been identified by the Local Authority through the In-Year Fair Access Protocol as the most appropriate placement, they will consider paying for transport, usually a bus pass. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

I have heard that if a pupil has two exclusions, he/she has no automatic right to a new school placement. Is this the same with a managed move?

No, each child’s case is looked at independently and the decision would be made by the Local Authority and the In Year Fair Access Panel as to what is best for the child. This may be a third school place or a period of time at an alternative provision.

Can I discuss this with anyone outside the school?

The Exclusion and Reintegration Officer or Special Education Needs Officer for the school will discuss your options and concerns with you. If your child has special educational needs you could contact the Parent Partnership Service who will be able to talk through the options and give you advice. Alternatively, contact SENDIASS