Oxfordshire County Council logo

Transport monitoring

How and why we survey traffic, and information about statistics and trends.

We carry out transport surveys to support the development of:

Most of the traffic flow data we collect is produced from automatic traffic counts or manual classified counts.

Due to unforeseen circumstances it has not been possible to collect the normal volume of traffic data compared to previous years. This has influenced the number of Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) figures provided and has meant that some estimated data has been used to calculate the growth figures provided below.  

Automatic Traffic Counters

There are 462 Automatic Traffic Counters (ATC) sites located across the county. These predominately cover the major A and B road network along with some more heavily trafficked unclassified roads (for further information on the M40, A34 and A43 please refer to Highways England). Of these ATC 56% continuously count traffic flows while the remaining 44% are used to gather 1 to 2 weeks worth of data per year.

Data has been taken from our network of ATC counters. Data can also be search using the online map

Manual Classified Counts    

Manual Classified Counts (MCC) are carried out on an adhoc basis either using enumerators or video cameras and are normally used to gather 12 hour link/turning counts as well as pedestrian and cycle survey data. Radars, Tube Surveys and ANPR cameras are also used on an adhoc basis and can provide speed, journey time, class and origin and destination data.

2019 Manual Traffic Counts
Item Amount
Junction count 28
Link count 138
Origin and destination 14
Other 1
Parking survey 19
Pedestrian/cycle 347
Queue length 4
Total 551

Cycle monitoring

We carry out a series of automatic and manual cycle counts across the county to monitor the proportion of trips made by bicycle. Manual cycle counts are picked up in the above MCC survey list. Cycle movements can be obtained from the following survey types pedestrian/cycle, link count and junction count.

Traffic survey data request

If you require further traffic count data relating to specific traffic counters or manual surveys listed in this webpage please specify reference numbers e.g. CP505 or TC5707. Data provided to private companies is chargeable and prices can be obtained upon request.

Contact the Transport Monitoring Team to request data.

Traffic congestion and growth

Congestion to most people means a motionless or slow-moving line of vehicles. Congestion has many negative social, environmental and economic impacts.

The Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA) imposed network management duties on local authorities to tackle congestion. Understanding congestion is therefore a key requirement in being able to tackle it.

This Traffic Hotspot Map (pdf format, 5Mb) highlights the location of congestion on the 2019 A road network during the morning peak.

Growth on the Oxfordshire A and B road networks over the last 1 and 5 year periods can be seen in the below table

Road class 2015-19 2018-19
A 1.7% -0.8%
B 0.7% -0.2%

Traffic monitoring

Oxfordshire County Council's Traffic Control Centre has a CCTV system. There are over 50 cameras deployed around the county's road network, primarily in Oxford and the major population centres. The cameras are used for observing traffic monitoring and optimising the use of road network on the public highway. Images may be used in the creation of mobility models and simulation.

They are used to monitor traffic congestion, manage incidents and mitigate for these where possible. We can alter traffic signal timings, deploy messages to Variable Message Signs, inform travel media, support the county's response to incidents, liaise with the Police Control Centre and inform stakeholders as necessary.

Images from these cameras are stored securely for a short period and can only be released to law enforcement agencies and for the prevention of fraud, as required under the Data Protection Act. No images are released to the public.

Any queries please email utmc@oxfordshire.gov.uk