If a person without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence and we - as the Highway Authority - have legal powers to enforce the removal of the obstruction.
Report an obstruction online
Examples of types of obstruction include:
- builders' skips or materials
- temporary works including traffic lights
- overhanging tree branches or hedges
- overgrown plants and bushes
- mud/debris on the road
- mixing concrete/mortar on the highway
- unauthorised vendors/traders
- encroachment of highway boundaries (where ownership of areas of the highway has been unlawfully assumed)
- discharge of water onto the highway blocking of rights of way
- illegal signs
- advertising boards
- dangerously hung banners or bunting
- barriers around roadworks that affect public safety.