Oxfordshire County Council logo

Obstructions to the road or pavement

How to report an obstruction to the road or pavement.

If a person without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence and we - as the Highway Authority - have legal powers to enforce the removal of the obstruction.

Report an obstruction online

You can report obstructions, as well as other street problems, through our online reporting tool Fixmystreet.

Examples of types of obstruction include:

  • builders' skips or materials
  • scaffolding/hoardings
  • temporary works including traffic lights
  • overhanging tree branches or hedges
  • overgrown plants and bushes
  • mud/debris on the road
  • rocks/boulders
  • mixing concrete/mortar on the highway
  • unauthorised vendors/traders
  • encroachment of highway boundaries (where ownership of areas of the highway has been unlawfully assumed)
  • discharge of water onto the highway blocking of rights of way
  • illegal signs
  • advertising boards
  • dangerously hung banners or bunting
  • barriers around roadworks that affect public safety.