Oxfordshire County Council logo

Abandoned vehicles

What to do if you see an abandoned vehicle on the highway.

The removal of abandoned and burnt out vehicles is the responsibility of the appropriate district council.

A vehicle is only officially deemed abandoned when the authorised Local Authority Officer decides that it has been left without lawful authority (Refuse Disposal Amenity Act 1978).

What to do if you see an abandoned vehicle

Do not move, enter or even touch an abandoned vehicle. If the vehicle is burning, call the fire service immediately.

You should report an abandoned vehicles to the appropriate district council:

Alternatively you can use our online reporting form to report the abandoned vehicle to the relevant district council.

Abandoned bicycles in Oxford

You can report abandoned bicycles online on Oxford City Council's website.