Companion bus pass

How to apply for a bus pass which includes a companion if you are disabled and cannot travel alone.

What is a companion bus pass?

It is a disabled bus pass with a '+' symbol in the corner that allows a user to travel with a companion. It is not a separate bus pass for the companion. 

Who can have a companion bus pass

If you are entitled to a disabled person's bus pass and cannot travel alone, then you can apply for a companion bus pass. This will allow your companion to travel free - but only when they are with you.

Children between the age of 5 and 15 who qualify for a disabled pass will be issued with a companion pass automatically.

While you are entitled to free travel anywhere in England within permitted off-peak times, your companion will only be entitled to free travel on journeys that start in Oxfordshire. If you travel outside of the Oxfordshire county border your companion will have to pay for their own travel.

A holder of a companion pass may start a bus journey in the area of Oxfordshire independently, but if accompanied by a companion, both pass holder and companion must board and get off the vehicle at the same point.

We will issue companion passes at our discretion.

Companion criteria

If you live in Oxfordshire and meet the disability criteria specified on the disabled person's bus pass page, and are also unable to travel independently, you may qualify for a companion pass.

To qualify for a companion pass you must provide evidence for one of the categories below.

  • You are registered Severely Sight Impaired (blind).
  • You are in receipt of Higher Rate Attendance Allowance (no more than 12 months old).
  • You are in receipt of the Higher Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with a period of entitlement of at least 12 months (no more than 12 months old).
  • You are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with 8 points or more for 'planning and following a journey' component (no more than 12 months old).
  • You cannot travel alone (letter from a medical professional).

Getting your medical summary

Do not visit your doctor’s surgery to get your medical summary. If you have access to your patient records via one of the online services, for example, Patient Access or Evergreen Life, you can get your medical summary there. These services are free. Or, phone your surgery and ask them to send a copy of your medical summary to you. Your surgery may charge for this service.

How to apply for a companion bus pass

Apply online

You can request a companion pass when you apply online for the disabled person's bus pass. Towards the end of the application form, tick the box 'I would like to apply for a companion enhancement'.

By phone

If you want to apply by phone contact the Customer Service Centre on 0345 310 1111.

Upgrade an existing bus pass

If you have a valid disabled person's bus pass and need to add a companion, contact us on 0345 310 1111. There is a £10 fee. 

If your disabled bus pass is due for renewal, you don't have to pay.

How to pay

You can pay for the photo update by post or in a library.  We cannot take payment over the telephone.

By post

Send a cheque for £10 made payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council' to:

Concessionary Fares Team
Oxfordshire County Council
PO Box 842

In a library

You must contact your chosen library before visiting to arrange an appointment.

Visit one of the following libraries to pay by cash or card.

When you will get your companion bus pass

We will post the companion bus pass once it's ready and it should reach you within 10 working days.

How to renew a companion bus pass

You will need to provide up-to-date proof of eligibility at the time of renewal. If you are still eligible, you will be issued a companion bus pass.