Safeguard and disability awareness training during coronavirus restrictions
As a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19), there are still several measures and restrictions in place to ensure the safety of both staff and trainees. As a result of these changes, the booking process is currently being done via email and not online; please see below for booking instructions which you must follow.
On receipt of the required information, the training team will be in contact to offer available training dates to eligible applicants; you will then need to reply within the given timeline with the date you wish to accept. Spaces are limited and will book quickly therefore a quick reply will ensure your booking.
A booking confirmation email will be sent to confirm all training bookings; applicants will not be able to attend a course unless they have received confirmation of their booking.
Building closures mean we are limited to which venues can be used for training so please be prepared to travel if your preferred location is not available.
Please note: You will need to read and agree to the Code of Conduct (pdf format, 670Kb) before you can proceed with a booking.
Who is this training for?
- All licenced drivers within Oxfordshire.
- Drivers applying for new licences in the districts of South Oxfordshire, Vale of White Horse, Oxford City, West Oxfordshire and Cherwell.
- Taxi Drivers, Coach Drivers and Passenger Assistants applying for a new Oxfordshire County Council Transport badge (school badge).
- Taxi Drivers, Coach Drivers and Passenger Assistants applying for a renewal Oxfordshire County Council Transport badge (school badge).
Drivers and passenger assistants applying for an Oxfordshire County Council Transport Badge must have a badging application form submitted and acknowledged by the DBS and Vetting Team before booking training.
As a result of the changes in how we are currently having to manage applications, you will not be sent a Unique Reference Number (URN) when you submit a badging application form but will receive an email confirming the application has been processed. Please
wait to receive this email before booking training.
Drivers applying for a taxi licence must have started the application process with the relevant district council before booking on to safeguarding training.
Please note that a charge will be applicable for your training; please speak to your relevant licencing authority for details on this.
Oxfordshire County Council drivers and passenger assistants
County Council Applicants need to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details to book training:
- Applicant name
- Date of birth
- Name of the service provider
- Applicant or service provider email address – this will be the email address used for all correspondence.
- Applicant contact telephone number – we are required to hold this information for track and trace purposes.
- Copy of photo ID for any driver or passenger assistant wishing to book on to a training course for contactless sign-in (e.g. photo or scan of your passport or driving licence)
District council drivers
District council applicants need to email email@example.com with the following details to book training:
- Driver name
- Date of birth
- Licensing authority
- Taxi licence number – (If you are a new driver, please make this clear)
- Email address – this will be the email address used for all correspondence.
- Home address
- Contact telephone number – we are required to hold this information for track and trace purposes.
- Copy of photo ID for contactless sign in (e.g. photo or scan of your passport or driving licence).
About the training
Trainees will be sent clear instructions once their training booking is confirmed; failure to follow these instructions fully will result in the applicant being asked to leave the session.
The combined Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training will last a minimum of three hours.
Staff will not be able to assist trainees with the test, which includes the reading of test questions. If this is going to cause problems, we suggest delaying booking an applicant onto a course until such time as this restriction is lifted.
Trainees will not receive their results on the day of the course. Pass certificates will be emailed after the course. Anyone who does not pass will be also be notified using the email address that was provided with the booking request.
Test certificates will only be sent to the email address provided at the time of booking training and duplicate copies will not be provided. If using a company email address for bookings, it is the responsibility of the service provider to ensure all information is passed on to the applicant, otherwise, the process will be delayed.
How much the course costs
Charges are applicable (pdf format, 57Kb) for all no-shows and late cancellations.
How to get help
If an attendee is nervous, has any concerns or additional requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of the relevant course date to let the training team know.
Training content and adaptations
- The course will include Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training for coach drivers, taxi drivers and passenger assistants.
- The course will be split into two halves (Disability Awareness Training and Safeguard Training) and will be followed by a compulsory multiple-choice test.
- Attendees must read and understand the Training manual (pdf format, 511Kb). It complements the training course and the trainers will be available for any questions you may have relating to the manual throughout the course.
- The course content has been amended to adhere to social distancing guidelines. This includes changes to group work and practical elements of the course.
- Trainees will sit one test and have 45 minutes maximum to complete; there will be no retake available at this time. It is therefore paramount that providers ensure trainees have been equipped with the training manual to read prior to attending a training course.
Social distancing and safety measures
The safety of staff and course attendees is paramount. The training course has been risk assessed and adapted to ensure social distancing is compliant. The following measures will be in place, which all trainees must adhere to both before and during the training course. These include:
- Trainees must sign and return an agreement prior to attending training.
- Sign-in will be completed using emailed photos of photo ID to avoid unnecessary handling of ID. These must be sent prior to the training session and bookings will not be confirmed until these have been received.
- Trainees must wear a face covering on arrival and throughout the training course.
- Hand sanitising will be compulsory upon entering the training room.
- Trainees need to provide their own pens, paper and refreshments (if required).
- Markings on the floor and in the room will be used to ensure social distancing throughout the training session.
What happens if you fail the course
The implications (pdf format, 100Kb) document provides details about what happens if you fail.