Visitor parking permits application

Apply for visitor parking permits in an Oxford CPZ.

Delay in posting permits

There are currently delays in posting permits due to coronavirus. Follow our guidance during these delays.

Providing copies of your documents

If you are unable to upload your documents to your application form yourself, please ask a family member or friend if they can send your supporting documents on your behalf.

During the National Lockdown, our libraries are providing a limited service and are unable to validate documents during this time. Also, please do not send your documents via the post, as large numbers of council staff have been told to work from home from now onwards in line with the Government’s strategy on coronavirus, therefore we are unable to access physical post at the moment.

About visitor parking permits

Residential parking schemes were introduced for the benefit of local residents in order to protect them from commuter parking and to give priority over limited spaces available to them and their visitors.

As there is little off-street parking in many of the Controlled Parking Zones, residents and their visitors have to compete for on-street parking with only approximately one space available per house frontage, or even less when private entrances need to be kept clear. Therefore, some form of restraint is required to ration the limited parking space available in an equitable way, thus introducing a maximum limit of 50 visitors permits per person, per year.

Oxford has a high mobile population therefore by introducing year dates to the life expectancy of a visitor permit, this prevents non-eligible persons from obtaining permits and the misuse and selling of permits when a resident leaves an address.

An allocation of 50 visitor’s permits is intended to last one year because we enter a new cycle each following year.

Who can apply

Any resident of an eligible property may apply for visitors' parking permits providing they are aged 17 years or over. They are issued in sets of 25 single use (one day) passes.

Check your property's eligibility

Before committing to a contract with a letting agency and/or landlord, please email to confirm that the property is eligible for a visitor and/or residential parking permits. 

Costs and payment

You can apply for one free set of permits every 12 months. If you require more, you need to wait six months after your first application and pay £25 for the second set.

You will not be asked to make a payment until your application has been processed by us.

If you are over 70 you will not have to pay for your second set. If you hold a valid Oxfordshire County Council concessionary bus pass we can check your age with your permission, but you will otherwise need to provide proof of age. 

What you need to provide

Proof of address

You need to provide a photograph or scan of one of the following.

  • Utility bill or financial statement dated within the last three months.
  • Council tax document for the current tax year that is addressed to you at the property that you reside in Oxford.
  • Fully signed, termed Tenancy Agreement (We only require the pages showing the tenant names, property address, tenancy term dates, and the signatures).
  • Letter from Solicitors confirming your name, property address and date you will be moving in to property.
  • Official letter from organisations such as HMRC, NHS, Benefits agency, local Council etc. dated within the last three months.
  • Payslip dated within the last three months.

The quickest way of providing this information to us is to upload it when making this application. You can upload a copy of the document using a smartphone, tablet or scanner. Photos or scans of documents are acceptable, providing the relevant information is clear.

Unable to upload documents

If you are unable to upload your documents to the form, you should continue and send the application. However, you will then need to either; return to the form later to upload your documents, or take your reference number and documents to one of the libraries below to be validated.

Start your application

Apply for a visitor parking permits

Contact us about a parking application

If you want to contact us about a parking permit email

Surrender of visitor permits

Unused visitor permits should be surrendered to the council in the event of the following:

  • the year dates have expired and are therefore no longer valid
  • ceasing to be a resident of the address at which you applied for the permits
  • in date permits that have become defaced or illegible
  • expired unused visitor permits that were purchased (currently pre-dating 2018). * A refund will be issued on receipt of the permits.

As the scheme allows for a free allocation of 25 permits per year, any unused out of date visitor permits will not be replaced because each eligible resident can apply for an updated version by submitting an online application form.