Business parking permits may be purchased by businesses within a controlled parking area where the loss of a locally parked service vehicle is considered to cause hardship. They are available only in certain zones.
How permits can be used by businesses
A permit will only be issued if there is an operational business need, not for commuting purposes.
Business permits enable the holder to park their trade vehicle in ‘Permit Holders’ parking bays within the CPZ of issue only.
It is not possible to allocate specific bays to individual traders and it cannot be guaranteed that a bay in a particular area will be available.
Which vehicles are eligible for permits
Permits are for use in the vehicles owned by or hired or leased to a business or registered to employees of the business and must be either:
- a passenger vehicle adapted to carry not more than 12 passengers
- a light goods vehicle
- a dual purpose vehicle
none of which must exceed 2.25 tonnes (2250kg) or 2 metres in height, 5 metres in length and 2 metres in width.
How much they cost
We issue three different time periods:
- 3 Months £25
- 6 months £50
- 12 months £100
There are no refunds so please consider carefully the period for which their permit is required.
Essential qualifications for permits
- To qualify for a permit, the address given on the application form must be your place of trading and you must produce a letter from your place of business on headed note paper, with the permit trading address on, explaining the operational reason for requiring this permit and the business operational hours.
- Businesses must also provide a copy of the most recent business rate demand for the business address.
- A permit may only be used with a vehicle which is required for daily operational use during business opening hours from the business premises concerned, and is an essential and operational part of that business in the carriage of goods or the provision of a service.
- The vehicle must be registered in the name of, or leased to, the business or a full-time employee. The council will require applicants to produce evidence to verify eligibility.
- For transferable permits only, a register must be maintained showing the following details – time/date/name of user/registration of vehicle/purpose.
Business permit zone rules
Summertown (SM) Only
Businesses with fewer than 49 employees are eligible to apply for two permits; from 50 to 74 employees are eligible to apply for three permits; from 75 to 99 employees are eligible to apply for four permits; from 100 to 149 employees are eligible to apply for eight permits; from 150 to 199 employees are eligible to apply for 13 permits. For every additional 50 employees a business will be eligible for a further five permits. These permits are transferable between approved vehicles.
Headington (HE) and North Oxford (NX) Zones
Businesses can apply for a maximum of two permits at any one time and these are transferable between approved vehicles.
Headington West (HA & HB), Jericho (JE), Norham Manor (NM) and Walton Manor (WM) Zones
Businesses with off street parking or garage facilities are eligible for no permits unless such facilities can only hold one vehicle and the business requires more than one vehicle to be used in connection with its essential operation; in this case only one permit will be issued. If a business does not have any off street parking or garage facilities, a maximum of two permits can be applied for. These permits are not transferable.
Central (Area C Only)
Businesses can apply for a maximum of one permit at any one time, subject to there being no off-street parking or garage facilities available to that business. This permit is not transferable.
Divinity Road (DV), East Oxford (EO), Girdlestone Road (GR), Headington North (HN), Headington Quarry (HQ), The Lakes (LK), Magdalen Road North (MN), Marston South (MS), North Summertown (NS), Northway (NW), South Oxford (SO) and West Oxford (WO) Zones.
Businesses can apply for a maximum of one permit at any one time, unless it can be shown to the council that it is essential for the businesses operation to have two permits. These permits are transferable with the exception of EO, DV, MN and SO where the permits are vehicle specific.
You must upload the following documents in support of your application. Use a scanner or take a photo with a smart phone.
- Operational needs letter on headed paper explaining why this permit is required
- Current year's business rates bill
- Vehicle registration document or lease agreement
- If a permit can be transferred and is to have more than one registration upload a list of all registrations and their vehicle particulars.
Complete this form to renew your existing parking permit. You will need to know your current permit number and tell us if anything has changed such as the number of employees or the vehicle.
If you change vehicle or move business premises you will need to fill in a replacement form.
To process your request we need a photo of your current permit destroyed by cutting it in half.