From 15 June additional enforcement cameras will be operating on Abingdon Road, Folly Bridge and Barton Fields Road and A40.
Bus lanes and bus gates are an important aid to improving bus reliability and easing congestion in Oxford. At several sites within city, enforcement cameras are operating to ensure drivers comply with the restrictions.
Penalty charge notices (PCNs)
Motorists who contravene the regulations will be recorded by cameras. If enforcement officers believe that a contravention has occurred, a fine - or penalty charge notice (PCN) - will be served to the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle by post.
The PCN is served at the statutory charge of £60 but is reduced to £30 if paid within the first 14 days.
Bus lanes and bus gates
Bus lanes are marked by a solid thick white line and the words ‘Bus Lane’ are periodically marked on the road.
A bus gate is a short section of street in which only buses and other authorised vehicles can go through.
There are warning signs of the bus lane or bus gate restriction ahead, and again, at the point where the restriction starts.
In Oxford, bus lanes and bus gates are located at:
- High Street - Eastbound and Westbound, between Queens Lane and Catte Street
- Castle Street - both directions, between Paradise Street and Speedwell Street
- George Street - Eastbound, between New Inn Hall Street and Gloucester Street
- Magdalen Street East - Southbound, between St Giles and Beaumont Street
- Abingdon Road - inbound between Redbridge park and ride and property numbers 386/388
- Folly Bridge - inbound between Thames Street and Abingdon Road
- Barton Fields Road and A40 - Northeast Bound and Southwest Bound
Maps of enforcement zones
View our interactive map or use the links below.
Who is allowed to drive in bus lanes and through bus gates?
The following vehicle types are allowed to travel in bus lanes.
- Buses (vehicles registered as passenger carrying vehicles (PCVs))
- Private hire vehicles
- Exempt emergency vehicles
All road users have a duty to read and comply with the signs at each location to avoid unauthorised entry into a restricted area during the times of operation.
|Bus gate||Time||Vehicle types allowed through the gate|
|High Street||7.30am to 6.30pm||Local buses, taxis/licensed private hire (not private rental) and exempt emergency vehicles only|
|6.30pm to 7.30am||Any vehicle type allowed|
|Castle Street||All day (24 hours)||Local buses and exempt emergency vehicles only. Taxis/private hire vehicles are allowed through between 7am-7pm (due to an experimental Traffic Regulation Order - this is not currently a permanent exemption)|
|George Street||10am to 6pm||Local buses, taxis/licensed private hire (not private rental), exempt emergency vehicles only|
|6pm to 10am||Access for loading allowed|
|Magdalen Street||All day (24 hours)||Local buses, taxis/licensed private hire (not rental) and exempt emergency vehicles only|
|Folly Bridge||All day (24 hours)||Local buses, taxis/licensed private hire (not rental) and exempt emergency vehicles only|
|Barton Fields Road and A40||All day (24 hours)||Local buses and exempt emergency vehicles only|
An exempt vehicle means any:
- vehicle in the service of or employed by the fire, police or ambulance services when on an emergency call
- police vehicle on patrol.