About self-service copying
You may wish to obtain a copy of material that we hold. Self-service copying is available to personal visitors, and we can take orders from remote enquirers.
However, many of our holdings are extremely fragile, and could easily be damaged or destroyed by the copying process. Copyright law may also limit the amount which can be copied. See copying guidelines for further information.
Please check our charges page for full details of current charges for all types of copying.
- Visitors to Oxfordshire History Centre may take digital photographs of our resources.
- Visitors must be authorised before they start any copying, by purchasing a permit from the Searchroom staff desk. There is a daily or multi-visit charge for a permit for any photography
- Excluding microform scans, visitors may download copies onto a memory stick, or email copies to themselves free of charge
- All copying must follow copyright and preservation guidelines.
- Full details are given in our guidelines, Digital photography, use of memory sticks, and emailing of copies at Oxfordshire History Centre (pdf format, 95Kb)
- For personal visitors to the Oxfordshire History Centre, there is a photocopier in the Searchroom, which can be used to copy Local Studies printed material only.
- No original documents or fragile printed volumes may be placed on it.
- The copier operates by a card system; you must take the material you wish to copy to the enquiry desk where you will be given a card for the number of copies you are requesting. No open-ended cards can be issued.
Computer and microform printers
Our public computers showing online resources and the microfilm/fiche reader-printers can print out the information shown on screen. Printouts are charged per sheet.
You can use our microform scanner to download this information on to a USB memory stick. Visitors need to purchase a permit before downloading.
How to order scans and copies
We can provide copies for remote enquirers from material in the care of Oxfordshire History Centre. Copying guidelines or copyright law may restrict what can be scanned, photocopied, or photographed.
How to request copies
- Please contact us with details of which books, documents, images or other sources you would like us to copy.
- We will reply with details of the costs involved and an order form for you to complete and return with your payment. Forms include a copyright declaration which must be signed by all applicants.
- Check our charges page for full details of copying costs.
- Official certificates are available for baptism and marriage entries, made out by staff. These are officially recognised by the church authorities for administrative purposes. Certified copies can also be provided from motor tax registration records, magistrates court records and electoral registers.
- Please contact us to request copies of certificates.
Digital photographs and electronic files
- We can supply digital photographs from many of the materials in our care; these can be provided as paper prints (not Picture Oxon) or as electronic files. See our charges page for the options available.
- Digital images from our Picture Oxon image library can be ordered online.
- Check our copying guidelines for restrictions applying to electronic files.
- Please contact us to request copies as a digital print or an electronic file.
This is available online