Oxfordshire's Fire and Rescue Service offers free electric blanket testing to all Oxfordshire residents. We are encouraging everyone with an electric blanket to take up this offer as part of our programme to ensure everyone is safe and warm this winter.
Blankets that will fail their test
- Blankets that are over 10 years old and have no safety features built into the controller.
- There is a leakage of voltage to the surface of the blanket.
- The elements in the blanket can rub together because they move around inside it. Elements like this can cause a short circuit.
- The elements are not secured within the blanket and are exposed to the surface.
- Power lead fasteners are broken and unable to be secured.
- The surface of the blanket is worn, exposing the elements.
Request an appointment
The electric blanket tests are normally very popular, with places limited.
Tea and biscuits will be available to everyone who comes along with their electric blanket. Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service, Trading Standards, Age UK, Oxfordshire's District Councils, and Public Health England will provide information and advice on a range of issues.
If you can't come to us, we can collect your blanket from you and return it after testing.
Call us on 01865 895999 and select option 3.
Dates and areas
We will confirm the address and time of your appointment by email or telephone.
- Monday 18 September – Oxford City
- Tuesday 19 September – South Oxfordshire
- Wednesday 20 September – Cherwell
- Thursday 21 September – West Oxfordshire
- Friday 22 September – Vale of White Horse
- Monday 2 October – Oxford City
- Tuesday 3 October – South Oxfordshire
- Wednesday 4 October – Cherwell
- Thursday 5 October – West Oxfordshire
- Friday 6 October – Vale of White Horse