How to prevent and report illegally dumped rubbish

Common types of fly-tipping include dumped tyres, waste from buildings and demolition work, fridges, freezers and garden waste.

Preventing fly-tipping by rogue traders

Your duty of care responsibilities

Did you know that if you pay someone to remove rubbish from your property and it’s then fly-tipped you could be prosecuted?

Find out more information about arranging your own waste removal (pdf format, 132Kb)

How to report illegally dumped rubbish or illegal waste sites

Reporting fly-tipping

Illegal waste disposal is a serious criminal offence and carries a fine up to £50,000 and 12 months' imprisonment (or an unlimited fine and up to five years' imprisonment if indicted to the Crown Court).

If you witness fly-tipping or wish to report dumped rubbish on a public highway verge, please contact your local district council:

Your local district council will take the lead role in investigating fly-tipping and other waste related offences - except illegal waste disposal sites operated as a business by the land owner or the persons in control of the land concerned (see below).

Reporting illegal waste sites

Illegal waste sites that store or burn waste should be reported to the Environment Agency on their incident hotline: 0800 80 70 60.

Materials causing a hazard on the highway

As the Highway Authority we are responsible for keeping public highways in a safe condition. If any fly-tipped materials are causing an immediate safety related hazard to the highway users - for example if rubbish has been fly-tipped in the road - then we will take action to make the area safe.

This may involve arranging to have the dumped materials moved, or the road closed if it is completely blocked - with, for example, a load of old tyres.

Disposing of bulky waste

If you need to dispose of large items of household waste, and are unable to take them to one of our household waste recycling centres, you can contact your district council to arrange for a bulky waste collection.