Oxfordshire County Council logo

Getting married in a church

A guide to arranging a wedding in a church or religious building.

Marriages in churches

A religious ceremony may take place in any religious building which has been registered for worship and marriages. Your first contact should be with the church minister, vicar, or priest where you would like to marry.

Following their agreement to conduct your ceremony, you may need to contact the Register Office where you live to give your Notice of Marriage.


Find out about the costs for attendance of registrars at marriage ceremonies and marriage and civil partnership certificates.