Oxfordshire County Council logo

Home and travel for young people

Help to live independently or with support.

Local Offer Oxfordshire

Help to live at home

Some young people may need help to live at home after they turn 18 (for example with personal care or daily living, equipment or adaptations). You can request an assessment to find out whether your needs can be met under the Care Act.

To find out what support is available to help you live independently, visit our living at home pages.

The Shared Lives Scheme  gives disabled adults the opportunity to live as independently as possible. The service provides a disabled person with the care they need by offering them the chance to stay in a Shared Lives carer’s home and sharing their family life, or to be supported in their own home by a Shared Lives carer.

To find out more about applying for your own affordable accommodation, grants that can improve your home and help you to live independently and help with the cost of housing, visit our housing pages, or contact your district council housing department.

Sensory Impairment Team - Sight and Hearing Impairment Teams

The Sensory Impairment Team supports adults and children with a hearing and/or sight impairment. This includes providing specialist support, including social work support, to develop independent living skills and mobility skills; rehabilitation work and assessment of equipment needs to help with home life and increase independence where possible.

Learning Disability Service

Oxford Health’s Learning Disability Service supports adults with learning disabilities in Oxfordshire- and the people who support them- to maintain good mental and physical health.


Getting around is an important skill all young people need to learn to get to school, work, or to get out and have fun.

Whether you’re walking, driving, cycling or taking a bus or train, the Oxme travel page has advice for young people about keeping safe, planning journeys and learning to drive. 

My Life My Choice also runs a travel buddy scheme to help people with learning disabilities build the confidence to travel on their own on buses and trains.

Independent travel training for young people.

Use our Live Well Oxfordshire directory to find services near you.

Help and information

Search for organisations and groups on the Family Information Service website to support parents and carers of disabled children and young people and those with SEN and additional needs.

Contact us

Special Needs and Disability - The Local Offer team is here to help you. Contact us.

Impartial free advice and support - education

The special educational needs and disability information advice and support service (SENDIASS) offers impartial information, advice and support to parents of children and young people with SEN and disabilities regarding their education. You can get in touch by completing this online form.

The service aims to help parents, carers, young people and educational professionals to work together to provide the best possible support to children and young people with special educational needs, by:

Help us improve our information

Does our local offer information help you? Use this online form to let us know if you feel our web pages could be improved or you need help finding out about something.