Oxfordshire County Council logo

Access to assessments - taking exams and tests

Helping young people with SEN to demonstrate their skills and knowledge.

Local Offer Oxfordshire

What are access arrangements or exam concessions?

Access arrangements, or exam concessions as they are sometimes called, are designed to enable young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities to demonstrate their skills and knowledge around what is being tested in exams without being disadvantaged by their difficulty/disability in areas of learning that are not being tested. 

Access Arrangements allow candidates/learners with special educational needs, disabilities or temporary injuries to access the assessment without changing the demands of the assessment. For example, readers, scribes and Braille question papers. In this way Awarding Bodies will comply with the duty of the Equality Act 2010 to make ‘reasonable adjustments’.

For instance, if a student taking a science exam has difficulty with reading, support can be given with reading the test paper, so that the student is able to demonstrate their ability in science.

What concessions are available?

There are a whole range of different arrangements that can be put in place to support students, and the school should work with each student to decide which ones are most helpful to them.  Students can have different arrangements for different exams. See JCQ Guidelines which are updated each academic year for the current full list.

Access Arrangements, Reasonable Adjustments and Special Consideration - JCQ Joint Council for Qualifications

  • Supervised rest breaks
  • 25 per cent extra time
  • Extra time of up to 50 per cent
  • Extra time of over 50 per cent
  • Computer reader/reader
  • Read aloud and/or an examination reading pen
  • Scribe/voice recognition technology
  • Word processor
  • Transcript
  • Prompter
  • Oral language modifier
  • Live speaker for pre-recorded examination components
  • Communication Professional (for candidates using Sign Language)
  • Practical assistant
  • Alternative accommodation away from the centre 
  • Bilingual translation dictionaries with up to a maximum of 25 per cent extra time
  • Modified paper, for example, coloured, enlarged and Braille papers
  • Modified language papers and transcript of listening test/video

The school or college needs to consider carefully what is most helpful to students and whatever arrangements are decided on should become part of the student’s normal way of working and should be put in place for internal assessments as well as national exams.

Access arrangements need to be applied for online and should be done as early as possible to cover the whole course, so assessments are usually done in Year 9 or 10 for Key Stage 4 courses such as GCSE and BTECs, and Year 12 for A level and other post 16 courses. The deadlines for schools applying for access arrangements are outlined in the JCQ guidance.

How do I know if my child is eligible for exam concessions?

The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) issue guidance each year on the types of arrangements that can be made and the criteria for students receiving them. 

What about Primary SATs?

There are similar access arrangements available for Key Stage 2 SAT tests, but the assessment process for applying for these is much simpler.  Schools apply for access arrangements online by giving details about the levels at which pupils are working.

What do I do if I think my child is eligible, but s/he has not been assessed by the school?

You will need to discuss this with your child’s school. You may want to request that the school do some assessment work with your child to check whether they meet the criteria for access arrangements. 

If your child is eligible, it is worth discussing with the school, which arrangements will best meet their needs. 

Extra time may sound like a good option, but students often struggle to use additional time effectively, and are often better taking rest breaks, so discuss the options with the school and what is best for your child.

Help and information

Search for organisations and groups on the Family Information Service website to support parents and carers of disabled children and young people and those with SEN and additional needs.

Contact us

Special Needs and Disability - The Local Offer team is here to help you. Contact us.

Impartial free advice and support - education

The special educational needs and disability information advice and support service (SENDIASS) offers impartial information, advice and support to parents of children and young people with SEN and disabilities regarding their education. You can get in touch by completing this online form.

The service aims to help parents, carers, young people and educational professionals to work together to provide the best possible support to children and young people with special educational needs, by:

Help us improve our information

Does our local offer information help you? Use this online form to let us know if you feel our web pages could be improved or you need help finding out about something.