Oxfordshire County Council logo

Further education, jobs and training for children and young people with SEN

Learning and training after the age of 16.

Finding an education or training provider

Most young people with special educational needs attend a mainstream college or training provider with other young people of the same age. Find out more Information about education, training providersshort courses and personal development opportunities from the Oxme database.

You could stay at school for Year 12 or you may want to apply to another school that has different courses and support for students. Have a look at school websites for information about what’s offered.

College life

The following colleges in Oxfordshire offer a range of courses:

Oxfordshire colleges

Outside Oxfordshire

You don’t have to go to your nearest college. Other FE colleges that are close to Oxfordshire include:

  • Amersham & Wycombe College, Buckinghamshire
  • Aylesbury College, Buckinghamshire
  • Berkshire College of Agriculture, Berkshire
  • Cirencester College, Gloucestershire
  • Moulton College, Warwickshire
  • Newbury College, Berkshire
  • New College Swindon, Wiltshire
  • Reading College, Berkshire
  • Swindon College, Wiltshire

Alternative provision

If you want to continue in learning, you don’t have to go to school or college. There are independent organisations that offer entry level courses and employability training for young people who want to get a qualification or learn the skills to help find a job.

You can find information about alternative and community based training providers on oxme.info

There’s information about support to get training on the working and learning page.

Our Family Information Directory has details of providers of specialist provision for young people with SEN or disability.

Additional information

Help for young people in custody

Young people who are sentenced to custody are sent to a secure centre especially for younger people. The secure centre may be a young offender institute, a secure training centre or a secure childrens’  home.  In each case the Youth Offending Service will ensure that any special educational needs outcomes or educational and health care plan is provided to the secure centre.

Prior to a young person being released from custody, planning meetings are held. These meetings include the young person, parents and the education, training and employment officer from the Youth Offending Service. The education, training and employment Officer will arrange for a suitable placement for the young person on release or within five working days.  If the young person has a special educational need or educational and health care plan it will be referred to in the post-release plan to make sure that the young person’s individual learning needs are provided for.

The Youth Offending Service  also work with the receiving school/education or employment placement to provide any risk information and ensure that there is a transfer of educational information from the secure centre.


Help and information

Search on the Family Information Service website for organisations and groups that support parents and carers of disabled children and young people and those with SEN and additional needs.

Impartial free advice and support - education

The special educational needs and disability information advice and support service (SENDIASS) offers impartial information, advice and support to parents of children and young people with SEN and disabilities regarding their education. You can get in touch by completing this online form.

The service aims to help parents, carers, young people and educational professionals to work together to provide the best possible support to children and young people with special educational needs, by:

Help us improve our information

Does our local offer information help you? Use this online form to let us know if you feel our web pages could be improved or you need help finding out about something.