Key benefits of an apprenticeship
We want to support you and invest in your future career and aspirations through our apprenticeship scheme. Apprenticeships allow you to gain new skills with on-the-job training and recognised qualifications.
As an apprentice, you will gain the technical knowledge, practical experience and wider skills you need for your job and future career. These are gained through learning in the workplace, for example, shadowing and working alongside experienced staff, formal off-the-job-training and opportunities to practice new skills in a real work environment.
As an apprentice you can:
- earn while you learn – gain a qualification while working in a real job
- receive a recognised qualification – apprenticeships can include professional qualifications alongside your apprenticeship
- personalised support – work-based mentors, managers, assessors and fellow apprentices all offer a support mechanism to achieve your apprenticeship
- develop your skills – apprenticeship qualifications offer three areas of learning: skills, knowledge and behaviours
- a structured training programme – all apprenticeships follow a structured programme over a period of time. Some are day release, some are block release and some are flexible learning. All apprentices must be allowed 20 per cent of the working time for ‘off-the-job’ learning
- improve employability – when you have an apprenticeship, employers know you have had to prove the knowledge, skills and behaviours associated with the job
- learn transferable skills – as well as studying for your qualification you will develop in other areas such as presentation and communication skills, team building and interpersonal skills.
The council has been recognised in the Oxfordshire Apprenticeship Awards receiving the Large Employer Award for the outstanding quality of apprenticeships and support we offer. Our apprentices have also been recognised for their outstanding work. From Apprentice of the Year to the Shining Star awards, our apprentices are achieving great things.
How we employ apprentices
We employ apprentices in a range of service areas including:
- business administration
- civil engineering
- customer service
- digital and social media
- IT support
- outdoor learning
- paralegal and solicitor
- social and health care (adults and children’s)
- surveying and planning.
We also have a range of adult social care, business administration and catering apprenticeship opportunities with our local care providers in a wide variety of different care settings and at different levels. If you would like to find out more about these opportunities or are interested in applying for these vacancies, please contact Evie Bennett.
Apprentices bring different points of view and a fresh approach to our work. They are invaluable to our organisation and what we do.
Find out more and register your interest
Find out more about our apprenticeships and the experiences of our staff in this brochure (pdf format, 2.3Mb).
If you have any queries about our apprenticeships contact email@example.com
Register your interest
All our apprenticeship jobs are advertised through our online jobs section on our Hampshire County Council partner's site. Register your email address and we’ll contact you when an opportunity becomes available.