Our vision is to be leading the field in our approach to equality and diversity in our workplace, inclusive service delivery and tackling disadvantage in the communities.
Including everyone: Equalities, Diversity, and Inclusion Framework
In October 2020 our cabinet approved the new Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Framework Including Everyone (pdf format, 3Mb).
Equalities Impact Assessments (EIAs)
The Equality Act (2010) states that public bodies, including councils, need to take extra steps to stop discrimination: this is known as the Public Sector Equality Duty. The Public Sector Equality Duty means that we must consider equality as part of our daily business, in particular:
- We need to eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- We need to advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share protected characteristics and those who do not.
- Set and publish equality objectives at least every four years.
- Publish information, at least annually, to show how we comply with the Equality Duty including information about employees and to people who are affected by the public body’s policies and procedures.
Visit our Fairness and Equality at Work webpage for more information.
There are nine protected characteristics:
- disability (including invisible disabilities)
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- race including ethnic or national origins, colour or nationality
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
We will assess the impact of budget or service changes on these groups and mitigate against negative impacts. We also go further and consider the impact that our decisions have on people living with social deprivation, in rural communities, those leaving care, carers and those in our Armed Forces community. We do this by undertaking Equalities Impact Assessments (EIAs) which will be published as part of our committee papers.