Freedom of Information (FOI) Act
The Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to request any recorded information we hold. Make a request for information.
What is recorded information?
Recorded information includes:
- paper records
- information stored on a computer
- audio or videocassettes
- handwritten notes.
How we deal with your requests
Our Freedom of Information Act Policy (pdf format, 36 KB) sets out how we will respond to information requests under the FOI Act.
We publish information on this website as part of normal business practice. The publication scheme sets out what information this includes. The aim is to help people better understand how the council works.
Learn more about what is included in our publication scheme.
Information we may not release
We do our best to give you what you requested, but it may not be possible. Some information is exempt. For example, where it would reveal personal details about someone. Find out more about FOI exemptions (pdf format, 73 KB).
We may refuse a request if the cost for us to provide the information would cost more than the information is worth.
Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) Act
The Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) give you the right to access environmental information held by the council. Make a request for information.
What is environmental information?
Environmental information is classed under the EIR as the following.
- The state of the elements of the environment, such as air, water, soil, land, fauna (including human beings).
- Emissions and discharges, noise, energy, radiation, waste and other such substances.
- Measures and activities such as policies, plans, and agreements affecting or likely to affect the state of the elements of the environment.
- Reports, cost-benefit and economic analyses.
- The state of human health and safety, contamination of the food chain.
- Cultural sites and built structures (to the extent they may be affected by the state of the elements of the environment).
Environmental information we may not release
The EIR set out exceptions that may restrict access to some information, for example, commercial confidentiality.
Please be aware that some information may also be withheld because it is covered by the Data Protection Act.