How to report a dangerous tree | Oxfordshire County Council

How to report a dangerous tree

Who to contact for dangerous, fallen or overhanging trees.

tree fallen across a footpath

There are a number of different organisations who deal with tree issues.

See the table below to help point you to the appropriate organisation for a range of circumstances and you can then use our list of tree contacts (pdf format, 15 KB) to get in touch. 

Location of tree Contact
Trees fallen on or onto your property, causing damage or inconvenience Contact emergency services for help, if necessary. Contact your own mortgage provider and / or insurer for advice in the first instance.
Problems with trees on private property Contact owner of tree.
Problems with trees on county council property, including schools Contact head of establishment in first instance. Most properties are under local management, who will know what to do. You can also take a look at tree safety advice.
Fallen trees on public highways Contact emergency services for help if necessary. Otherwise contact our Highway Enquiries Team.
Trees on, near or affecting county roads, road verges and surfaced public rights of way. Contact our Highway Enquiries Team.
Trees on, near or affecting un-surfaced public rights of way. Contact Countryside Service Field Officers.
Trees on other public property. Contact head of establishment in the first instance.
Trees in public parks. Will normally be managed by city, town, parish or district councils. Signs in parks usually indicate who is responsible. Contact district council tree officer, city, town or parish council as appropriate.
Trees on other public open spaces. Contact district council tree officer (unless local signs indicate otherwise).


Last reviewed
04 January 2016
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback