Home and travel for young people | Oxfordshire County Council

Home and travel for young people

Finding accommodation and help to live independently or with support.

Community Learning Disability teams

Community Learning Disability teams (CLDT) help people with a learning disability to live as independently as possible. They are made up of professionals from health and social care. They can help with managing needs around housing and managing personal budgets. CLDT will be involved in all decisions about independent and supported living so it’s helpful to discuss options with them at an early stage.

Sensory Impairment Team - Sight and Hearing Impairment Teams

The Sensory Impairment Team supports adults and children with a hearing and/or sight impairment. This includes providing specialist support, including social work support, to develop independent living skills and mobility skills; rehabilitation work and assessment of equipment needs to help with home life and increase independence where possible.

Living independently

You may find it difficult to manage at home without support or equipment and adaptations that make your life easier and safer. This can include home repairs, meals and shopping, personal care and equipment that lets you to do things on your own. 

To find out what support is available to help you live independently, visit our living at home pages.

The Shared Lives Scheme  gives disabled adults the opportunity to live as independently as possible. The service provides a disabled person with the care they need by offering them the chance to stay in a Shared Lives carer’s home and sharing their family life, or to be supported in their own home by a Shared lives carer.

To find out more about applying for your own affordable accommodation, grants that can improve your home and help you to live independently and help with the cost of housing, visit our housing pages.


Getting around is an important skill all young people need to learn to get to school, work, or to get out and have fun.

Whether you’re walking, driving, cycling or taking a bus or train, the Oxme travel page has advice for young people about keeping safe, planning journeys and learning to drive. It includes information about local schemes such as Wheels 2 Work and Journey Assistance Cards for young people with sight and hearing impairments.

My Life My Choice also runs a travel buddy scheme to help people with learning disabilities build the confidence to travel on their own on buses and trains.

Oxfordshire’s Travel Advice Line offers free, impartial advice on a range of travel options for young people who need support to get around.

Last reviewed
04 December 2015
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback