Oversailing licence

How to apply for a licence for structures projecting over the highway.

Oversailing licences relate to any permanent or temporary structure which spans the public highway. This includes windows, advertising boards, shop signs or banners as well as cranes whose jib extends across the highway. Application is made under Highways Act 1980, Section 177.


The fee is £350 per licence.

There will be a £550 fine plus £50 per hour enforcement rate for non-compliance of the terms and conditions of the licence.


You can expect your licence to be processed within one calendar month.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply

Apply online to change an existing licence

Or you can print out and complete an application form, and send it to the address below, accompanied by:

  • four detailed scale drawings relating to this application
  • a copy of the relevant planning application
  • a cheque made payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council' for the sum above.
  • Bank transfer to our team account (quoting first line of address as reference)

A/C Name - OCC - Licensing & Streetworks DCI
Sort code - 308012
A/C Number - 15190568

Application forms:

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions should be directed to them.

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.