Occupation of the road - building works

How to apply for permission to occupy the road when you're planning to carry out building works.

If you wish to temporarily deposit building materials, scaffolding, temporary hoardings, rubbish or other items in a street or make a temporary excavation you must apply to us for consent. You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent and comply with requirements relating to the fencing off and lighting of deposits or excavations.

Application is made under Highways Act 1980, Section 171.

How to apply

You can apply online, but fees vary according to the type of permission you require - please see individual pages for details:

You might also find the following useful:

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions regarding procedures or licences should be directed to them.