Improving your home

District councils provide assistance to help residents remain safe, secure, independent and warm.

They provide the following schemes:

Disabled facilities grants

A disabled facilities grant can help eligible disabled people to adapt their homes to make their day-to-day life easier. This is a means-tested grant - whether you can receive it depends on your other sources of income.

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant you must first be assessed by an occupational therapist.

Essential repair grants

This is a means-tested grant for home owners to help with essential repairs to the home.

Flexible home loans

This loan scheme for owners and occupiers aged 60 and over is designed to help improve the comfort, safety and security of, and help with repairs to your home.

Scheme for tenants

If you are a council tenant, and over 65 or receiving disability living allowance you may be entitled to have help with the maintenance of your home.

Oxford City Council have put in place a repairs exemption policy to provide help for those tenants who are unable to maintain their home through physical disability.

Find out more about the repairs exemption policy on the Oxford City website.

Small repairs services across the county

Available to owners, occupiers and tenants who are aged 60 and over, disabled and suffering from a long-term health condition. Find small repairs services in Oxfordshire on the Live Well Oxfordshire information directory.

Contacting the district councils

For advice, contact the following:

Occupational therapy

Oxfordshire County Council takes referrals for occupational therapy, which can help identify if you would benefit from any pieces of equipment, from simple solutions such as a walking aid or a second stair rail, to major adaptations such as walk-in showers.

If you have difficulty with day-to-day activities such as getting washed and dressed or getting yourself something to eat, an assessment by a social worker can help you find out if you are entitled to a personal budget to pay for the support you need.

Find out more or request an assessment.


Find providers of equipment and adaptations near me.