Requesting an assessment

Before we can help you, we need to look at your care needs.

Am I eligible for a needs assessment?

You have the right to an assessment no matter what your ability is to pay for the care or services you may need.

For details of who to contact please see below:

If you need help due to:

  • frailty because of old age
  • a short-term illness or injury
  • permanent, substantial physical or learning disabilities

You can request an assessment through the adult social care team.

How to request an assessment if you are a member of the public

Request an assessment

If you need help completing the form, contact us.

You can be referred by:

  • you or your relative, friend or neighbour
  • a social worker or health professional such as a doctor or health visitor
  • any other agency.

Urgent concerns

If you have urgent concerns for the safety or wellbeing of a person please contact us.

If you are a professional making a referral

If you have urgent concerns for the safety or wellbeing of a person contact Social and Health Care during office hours, in an emergency, out-of-hours please contact 0800 833408.

Otherwise please complete one of the forms below:

Referral to Adult Social Care

Online referral form for professionals - ASC Referral

If the person has rehabilitation potential or had a recent illness please see the next section, Rehabilitation potential or recent illness.

Rehabilitation potential or recent illness

If the person has rehabilitation potential or has had a recent illness, please complete the referral form by clicking on this link:

Online referral form for professionals – Home First Referral

If the person has rehabilitation needs/had a recent illness and you feel they require an assessment by Adult Social Care, please only fill in the Home First Referral form.

The Home First team completes a holistic assessment as part of their work with someone and covers all adult social care-related needs. 

What happens at the needs assessment

The assessment will involve talking to you, your partner, relatives or friends to find out exactly what care you need. The discussion may be over the telephone or face-to-face.

Your needs will be assessed. This will involve talking with you, your carer, and other people who know you well about different aspects of your life, which may include your physical health, your emotional health, how you manage to look after yourself, and your current family and support networks.

The assessment should take your personal wishes into account in deciding what sort of care, advice or information you need.

Am I eligible for care?

Following your assessment, we will review your care and support needs to decide if you are eligible for support from us. We use national eligibility criteria, set by the Department of Health, to do this.

You are eligible for care and support if you meet all of the following criteria:

You have care and support needs as a result of a physical or mental condition or illness

Because of those needs, you cannot achieve two or more of these outcomes:

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of your home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities you have for a child.

As a result, there is a significant impact on your wellbeing.

Please note: there is a different set of eligibility criteria for carers. Find out more on our Carers Oxfordshire website.

Support plan

If you have eligible needs, we will draw up a support plan with you. This will look at what you want to achieve and outline the ways in which you want your needs to be met.

If you need services you have to pay for, we'll also do a financial assessment.

If we can't help you because your assessment shows you're not eligible for our help, we will always tell you about other organisations that can help you.

If you need a support plan, we may need - with your permission - to talk to other health or social care professionals to ensure you get the right help. A needs assessment will help you identify what your needs are and how best they can be met. Support plans are reviewed regularly.

Do I have a say in what services I get?

We will discuss with you:

  • the type of help needed
  • when it is needed
  • who will be providing the assistance
  • how long they will be with you
  • your religious and cultural needs
  • when the service will be reviewed.

Independent advocates

We need to enable you to be fully involved in the key decisions that shape your life and to make sure that you can get the information and advice you need about care and support.

One of the ways we can do this is by making independent advocates available to you from the moment you contact us if you are eligible. Find out more about independent advocates.

Direct payments

Direct payments are cash payments we can give you instead of giving you a service. They are a different way of getting the support you need. You spend the money on getting the support you want to meet eligible needs that have been agreed as part of your assessment. This enables you to have more choice and control in how you are supported.

Care charges

Depending on your financial circumstances, you may be expected to pay for or contribute towards the cost of your care. Following a financial assessment, we will give you a clear idea of what you can be expected to pay and how the charges are calculated. Find out more.

Buying your own care services

You can get in touch with care providers privately to organise caring services you wish to pay for.

Carer's assessment

Carers aged 16 or over can request a carer's assessment to find out what services are available to them.

Carers aged under 16 can find out what is available to them on the Carers Oxfordshire website.