Religious education (RE) is not part of the National Curriculum but must be taught in schools by law.
We are advised on RE and collective worship by Oxfordshire SACRE (Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education). A SACRE can also consider requests from schools to lift the legal requirement to hold an act of collective worship of a broadly Christian character.
Agreed syllabus for religious education
The syllabus for RE has to be produced locally and is known as the 'local agreed syllabus'.
This is drawn up by an Agreed Syllabus Conference (ASC), which has a similar membership to the SACRE.
This document is the property of Oxfordshire County Council and is protected by copyright. The syllabus must not be reproduced in any other format.
Oxfordshire's SACRE is required by law to have four representative groups:
- Christian denominations (other than the Church of England) and representatives of other faiths
- The Church of England
- Teacher associations
- County councillors.
Other groups can be considered for co-option or may attend as observers.
For more information, please email the Oxfordshire RE Advisor
The SACRE meets three times a year at County Hall, Oxford. Here are the minutes for:
- February 2023 (pdf format, 284Kb)
- November 2022 (pdf format, 71Kb)
- June 2022 (pdf format, 273Kb)
- March 2022 (pdf format, 182Kb)
- November 2021 (pdf format, 186KB)
- June 2021 (pdf format, 182Kb)
- March 2021 (pdf format, 168Kb)
- November 2020 (pdf format, Kb)
- June 2020 (pdf format, 400Kb)
- March 2020 (pdf format, 400Kb)
- June 2019 (pdf format, 400Kb)
- March 2019 (pdf format, 479Kb)
Oxfordshire SACRE publishes REFocus newsletter for RE teachers
Oxfordshire SACRE also publishes an annual report covering the previous academic year
- Annual report 2019-20 pdf format, 266Kb)
- Annual report 2018-19 (pdf format, 289Kb)
- Annual report 2017-18 (pdf format, 981Kb)