Managed move

A strategy that is sometimes used when a child is almost at the point of permanent exclusion.

What is a managed move?

A managed move is where a school arranges for a pupil to leave them and join a different school in discussion with that school in a planned way.

Managed moves can only occur if parents are in agreement and where another school is willing to offer a school place in this way. It is a strategy which is sometimes used when there have been significant difficulties with a pupil's behaviour over a period of time and it is thought a fresh start in a new setting could benefit the pupil.

In Oxfordshire a managed move is usually offered when a pupil is at the risk of permanent exclusion.

How is a managed move different to a parent applying for a change of school?

At any time parents may apply to County Admissions for a change of school place for their child(ren) by completing an In Year Transfer Form. Parents can name up to three schools in order of preference. Under the Admissions Code, if there is a space in the school of choice, a place should be offered. A managed move does not take place through County Admissions under the Admissions Code. It is an arrangement agreed between parents and two schools to move a pupil from one school to another. Although this could only take place with your full consent, you would not have a choice of school, it would be a matter for negotiation between the schools.

Why is my child being offered a managed move?

The head teacher is concerned that your child is at significant risk of being permanently excluded from the school because of his / her behaviour and feels a fresh start in a new setting will prevent this happening. Usually this intervention will be offered as a ‘guest placement’ to see if the new setting will be more appropriate for your child. Your child will be dual rolled for an agreed period of time. At the end of this period a meeting will be held to decide where the child will continue their education. You will be involved in this decision making.

 Sometimes the head teacher may be considering taking the decision to permanently exclude your child but as an alternative is prepared to offer to facilitate a managed move to another school. In this case your child will not be able to return to the first school if the place at the new school does not work out.

Should I agree to a managed move instead of a permanent exclusion?

This is for you to decide. The result of a managed move is the same as a permanent exclusion in that your child leaves their school and starts at a new school. Some parents / carers who agree their child should change schools prefer to arrange a managed move to avoid a permanent exclusion on their child's school record. If you do not want your child to leave the school, or you want the opportunity to challenge a head teacher's decision to permanently exclude your child, you may not want to agree to a managed move so that you will have an opportunity to challenge the decision with the school’s governors.

Are there other differences?

Several. If you agree to a managed move, you are agreeing to your child leaving the school and have no formal opportunity to argue your case. The governors do not have a meeting to decide if your pupil should leave the school and you have no chance to discuss the case with them. This may be important if you feel that your child has not been supported adequately or fairly treated. If your child is excluded permanently, the governors must meet to consider the head teacher’s decision. If they uphold the decision, you have the opportunity to take the case to an Independent Review. There is no process for review with a managed move.

If I agree, what happens to my child's education before he/she starts at the new school?

If your child is having a ‘guest placement’ managed move you will be part of the meetings where a contract is drawn up between the two schools. You should have a chance to ask any questions about the arrangements.

If your child is offered a managed move as an alternative to permanent exclusion your child will remain on roll at the present school until a new school has been agreed. The first school will make provision until your child moves to the new school, but this might not be on the school site. This is different from a permanent exclusion. A child who is permanently excluded will have provision from an alternative provider until he / she starts at the new school.

Even after I had agreed to a managed move, the head has fixed term excluded my child for a period. Why has this been done?

Even though a managed move has been agreed the school may decide to issue an exclusion if a pupil has breached the behaviour policy. If the exclusion is for longer than five days the school must make full time provision for your child.

The head has not excluded my child but has put him/her on a reintegration timetable. Is this allowed?

No, it is not allowed; your child is entitled to full time education, although this may not always be on the school site. Reintegration time timetables are unlawful unless they are part of an integration programme that has been agreed with you. If your child is not receiving full time provision you should contact the Exclusion & Reintegration Officer or Special Educational Needs Officer for the school. All schools must alert the local authority Learner Engagement service if a pupil is on a reintegration timetable.  

If the new school is a considerable way from where I live - what happens?

If the school is more than two miles (primary) or three miles (secondary) from your home the Local Authority will pay for transport, usually a bus pass, as long as the school is the one identified by the Local Authority as appropriate under the "Fair Share" system.

I have heard that if a pupil has two permanent exclusions, he/she has no automatic right to a new school placement. Is this the same with a managed move?

The Local Authority treats managed moves in much the same way as a permanent exclusion. Managed moves must be registered with the Local Authority Exclusion and Reintegration Officer. If a pupil has one permanent exclusion or managed move and reaches the same point in a second school the Local Authority would not expect a third mainstream school to accept the child. This does not mean that no school would offer a third chance but it is rare.

Reaching the point of permanent exclusion in two schools usually results in a long-term place being offered in alternative provision.

Can I discuss this with anyone outside the school?

The Exclusion and Reintegration Officer or Special Education Needs Officer for the school will discuss your options and concerns with you. If your child has special educational needs you could contact the Parent Partnership Service who will be able to talk through the options and give you advice.

It's not only at school that my child has problems with behaviour, it's at home as well. Is there anyone who can give me advice on managing my child's behaviour?

If you feel that the relationship between you and your child is breaking down, and that you are losing control over him or her, one approach would be to ask for a referral or self refer to the Oxfordshire Parent-Talk programme. Parent-Talk offers support with your parenting and some fresh ideas for dealing with challenging behaviour. You can ask a GP, health visitor, school or social services to refer you to Parent-Talk. Once Parent-Talk receives the referral, someone will ring you and you can discuss your child's behaviour with them.